SaltCritters.com

detritus?

aggiereefer

my tank has been running since a week after thanksgiving, I dont have anything in it except for snails. I'm noticing "silt" accumulating on my rock and in mounds on my substrate. Im guessing this is detritus. Is this correct?

what happens if you don't blow or suck them off? i have loads of detritus on my sandbed and rock....and i can't seem to get rid of em coz the sandbed is inaccesible since it's in the caves and my rock keeps on accumilating it even after suckin em out....i've got about 6 snails in there but they don't seem to do a darn thing about the detritus....infact i think they contribute to it with their poop and all.

My appologies if i'm hijacking, just that i'm facing similar problems and found this post before i had a chance to post mine....one more weird thing i've noticed in the tank lately is a sorta web like thing forming on some of my rocks and sand...it serious looks almost like cobwebs underwater. i thought that it might've been cyano but it's clear in color so i'm doubting it.....what else could it be? i wish i could take pictures...but either me or my camera sucks at takin macro shots.

you can get some bad algae blooms and detrius piled on a coral will make a dead spot and can cause it to recied and coraline algae will not grow over detrius pile on the LR and don't worry to much if its on the sand bed becouse as the sand becomes invested with micro fauna like worms and pods they will slowly eat the detritus if the sand is fine

as for the cob webs it can be from not enough flow or die off on the LRand should go away in time

and think of this detritus is poop the more poop the more nitrates and more need to export wastes it is good husbandry to clean the rocks with every water change and the detritus in small amounts blown into the water colum regularly is good for most corals and polyps

thanx for the input Masoch...unfortunately...where i live, i don't have access to many snails...infact....all i can find at the LFS are Trochus.... :(

the only other alternatives are black cukes but i don't think the tank is big enough for it....and i don't wanna risk it dying and poluting the entire tank :x

do blue legs do a good job in cleaning the sand beds....i've been checkin in on the LFS every week to see if they happen to get a shipment....but it's not a regular specimen there so i gotta sit, pray and wait.....

Archived