Coral Vue Hydros

How long should i run lighting?

T11mog

hey how long should i run lighting since i am geting new lighting for christmas (i hope :D) and i got a times right now its set to go on at 11 am and off at 8 pm...is this to long? to short? lemme know..i plan on putting some LPS and SPS corals also some anenomes in...well lemme know thnx!

i always run 11~12 hours photoperiod. i cut back the hour for some seasons. i figure (in my own demented way) it's like a winter season for the tank, light-wise at least. but i figure the tropics get 12 hrs/day so the tank should get 12 hrs/day.

that said, many people run their lights 8~10 hrs/day just fine. i just figure i'm slowly using up my savings anyway so why deprive the corals of those extra couple of kilowatt hours? X) hth

I'm an 8-10 hour guy myself but 12 is totally acceptable too like tiny mentioned. There is no reason for any more than that since most corals close up after a 12-13 hours photoperiod.

Cameron

There is one legitimate reason to run your lights longer: pH stability. I do not have refugium, therefore, I cannot keep up my dissolved oxygen levels. Less oxygen= lower pH= not so good. So I run my lights from 6:30am to 10:30pm. I do think 12 hours is all you need.

Well, with a proper alk and calcium balance along with good circulation you should not have a pH swing that is dangerous. If you have pH drops that dip below 7.8-7.9 you've got something off in your water. A proper ca and alk balance with good circulation a daily pH swing should be between 7.9 and 8.3. How low are your pH dips?

Cameron

I think the light cycle is a individual preference. I have seen from 8-14 throughout, with 10-12 being the majority. You can probably find alot of threads giving opinions why or why not to run certain light cycles. I use a standard 12 hour (9-9) which gives me plenty of time to enjoy my tank. Some people say to cut back the time to help control the algae.... but for some reason I keep hearing this voice of the algae saying "sure cut back those lights to 10 hours, I will still thrive you idiot!!!" Just another man's opinion, hehe.

My pH was pretty low for a while; it was about 8.0 during the day, and 7.8 at night. I know that is "safe", but I would like to keep my levels up around 8.3. I don't know what my calcium or alk. levels, don't have any test kits for that. I guess this is my failsafe.

P.S., my pH is around 8.3 during the day and 8.1 at the lowest level in the night.

Archived