Top Shelf Aquatics

Bumblebee snail

icsd71

I just ordered several things from an on-line store. The guy has sent me extra everytime I ordered. One of the extras I got is a bumblebe snail. I read up on them and it says that they do little for the tank as as CUC member. It even said they can eat benefical stuff in the sand bed. What does this group think? Good ro bad?

animalmaster6
I just ordered several things from an on-line store. The guy has sent me extra everytime I ordered. One of the extras I got is a bumblebe snail. I read up on them and it says that they do little for the tank as as CUC member. It even said they can eat benefical stuff in the sand bed. What does this group think? Good ro bad?

i heard they not reef safe and eat SPS

• 2 weeks later...

i got one for free. Had it for a month and a half and it doesnt seem to harm anything. It doesn't come out often, but when it does its a pleasure to watch. i never see it on the move like my turbo but it just stays in place making me assume its not an effective CUC but just a decorative. I would keep it till you see it do some harm.

I'm about to get rid of mine. They have killed so many of my astrea snails! I used to think it was my hermit until I caught them in the act more than once. Time for them to go...

I decided not to get them bc i read on this forum (sorry I couldn't find link, but I'm pressed for time right now), that somebody witnessed bumblebee snails eating a member of their cuc alive.

No bumblebee snails for me!

I prefer to have a snail that is an herbivore (for the safe of peacefulness).

I've decided to go with nerite or margarita.

Although turbo, turba, astrea and banded trochus were listed as herbivores as well.

good luck!

danielle

I have had 10 of them for over a year now and have never had an issue. I see them under stuff eating off the rocks all the time. I don't keep astrea's but I do have a huge nassarius population and I have turbos.

I also have 1 hermit that they have never bothered.

my yellow wrasse ate em all!

lol, my first SW tank was a 55g FO and my Lunar Wrasse and Picasso and Niger Triggers obliterated so many CUC's it's not even funny.

I have had them in the past with no problems. I was always told to keep them in small numbers and I did. Not sure what they eat in the wild. It would be best to learn that first. I guess I am do some research.

Bumble bee snails are an ideal addition to the cleaning crew for any tank as they will eat any uneaten food, decaying matter and most algae species. They can due to their small size get into very small cavities in the setup and clean them. Bumble bee snails are suitable for reef tanks but are not 100% reef safe as they will eat zooanthids and polyps if they are not provided with enough food. In the average aquarium this isn't a problem and the snails find enough food. If your aquarium contain little to eat it is recommended that you supplement the diet of your snails by feeding them at night. They will accept most foods but love dried sea weed rapped around a rock placed on the bottom of the tank. The diet supplement should also contain meaty food such as mysis shrimp.

Hope this helps

Bumble bee snails eat live bacteria that lives in the sand. Essentially, they kill live sand. That sounds funny. They also eat things that may be dead, im not sure they kill things though.

Bumble bee snails are an ideal addition to the cleaning crew for any tank as they will eat any uneaten food, decaying matter and most algae species. They can due to their small size get into very small cavities in the setup and clean them. Bumble bee snails are suitable for reef tanks but are not 100% reef safe as they will eat zooanthids and polyps if they are not provided with enough food. In the average aquarium this isn't a problem and the snails find enough food. If your aquarium contain little to eat it is recommended that you supplement the diet of your snails by feeding them at night. They will accept most foods but love dried sea weed rapped around a rock placed on the bottom of the tank. The diet supplement should also contain meaty food such as mysis shrimp.

Hope this helps

DId you really write this yourself, or are you quoting it from somewhere else? If so, please post the link.

• 4 weeks later...

IMO they are no good for algae control but will eat anything else from detritus to leftover food. you'll see their real worth the day that something dies. they will rush to the spot and will suck the juices out. my SIXLINE died :tears: and between the bumble bee and 2 nassarius they finish it off overnight, next morning only blue scales were left.

they eat microfauna, doubt they would eat other cuc members...

edit

i stand corrected...apparently they also eat cuc members...read more, liveaquaria etc...

I have 2 that came as hitchhikers on my lr. They move aroung the tank pretty good. Ive heard about them eating the stuff in sand but in the 3 weeks my tank has been running they are almost never on sand. In and out of the rocks all the time. they actually move pretty fast. I will definityly keep an eye on them once i start adding corals

From my experiences with them:

I have had two different types of bumblebee snails, ones with smooth shells and ones with blocky shells.

The blocky shells would predate on corals and livestock, whilst the smooth shells would leave live things alone. If I had pictures of the blocky bumblebee snails I would show you.

Archived