Cultivated Reef

Neverending Cloudy Water.

Vesian

I started my tank on 12/9/09. The cycle finished around New Years day, but ever since then i've had white, cloudy water that shows no signs of abaiting. It's been present for 2 weeks now, and my tank is completely at a standstill until I can figure out how to get rid of it. I'd tried 20% water changes, no effect. I've added Seachem Clarity, no effect. I've been running my protein skimmer+filter floss, they pick up organics (odd since no fish in the system yet), no effect. Algone, no effect. I seriously don't know what to do, and it's driving me insane.

A picture of how my tank looks with the pumps+powerheads off:

7ae287f9.jpg

ANY help and/or suggestions would be incredibly appreciated.

Did you rinse your sand? Is it possible you are blowing sand around a bit? What type of mechanical filtration do you have?

I did not rinse my sand when I added it to the tank, although that was almost a month and a half ago. I would think that the particles would have settled by now. I can't visually see the pump blowing around sand, and the "haze" does not settle after all of the flow is turned off for a few hours.

As for mechanical, I am running a Tunze 9002 skimmer in the refugium, and filter floss on the media basket (which is constantly dirty after a few hours)

From the pic it looks like your powerhead is pointing downwards which could be the problem. Try moving the powerhead down a bit and then pointing it upwards.

From the pic it looks like your powerhead is pointing downwards which could be the problem. Try moving the powerhead down a bit and then pointing it upwards.

+1 The only thing I can think of is your just constantly blowing sand around, if nothing else turn your koralia off for 1-2 days and see if that helps

and just so i understand the water wasnt cloudy for the first 3 weeks or so but happened recently?, and you didnt add or change anything right before it happened did you? I.E water change, adding chemicals etc...

Are you certain your cycle is complete. I would also stop adding thing to clear you water until you find out what it is. How much live rock do you have? Is there a considerable amount of dead base rock in your tank?

That's my Koralia 1, it's been off for about 3 weeks now, I just haven't removed it yet.

+1 The only thing I can think of is your just constantly blowing sand around, if nothing else turn your koralia off for 1-2 days and see if that helps

I will leave my Vortech off and see if it helps.

I'm also guessing that you got some bahama oolite didn't ya.

100% correct.

and just so i understand the water wasnt cloudy for the first 3 weeks or so but happened recently?, and you didnt add or change anything right before it happened did you? I.E water change, adding chemicals etc...

No chemicals were added to the water during the cycle. At about 1 month in, the water was brownish, kinda like the color that appears in your skimmer cup. At the advice of a fellow reefer, I took the LR out and scrubbed it down (which I did not do initially) in a seperate container, then added it back. Nothing was changed right before this hazyness appeared, either. I did change out 50% of the brownish water, though.

Are you certain your cycle is complete. I would also stop adding thing to clear you water until you find out what it is. How much live rock do you have? Is there a considerable amount of dead base rock in your tank?

Relatively certain. It's been 1 month, 6 days since I started the cycle, and my readings have been 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate since about the 2nd of January or so.

I've had a tank thread here since the tank began here, you can see from the pictures how murky the water got before the water change, and where it is now. I haven't had much luck at help on that thread so I was hoping to try here.

The problem you are having is that you have non-rinsed sand. You will continue to have the problem for a long time unless you clean it. The easiest way to clean your sand is to purchase a filter sock or 3 and setup a pump with a tub going into the sock. Mix your sand slowly every hour or two until the problem goes away.

I once added 20lbs of sand it my tank didn't clear up for months until I used to sock filter to get everything out of the water. The sock method should only take about a day or two. (good weekend project)

The problem you are having is that you have non-rinsed sand. You will continue to have the problem for a long time unless you clean it. The easiest way to clean your sand is to purchase a filter sock or 3 and setup a pump with a tub going into the sock. Mix your sand slowly every hour or two until the problem goes away.

I once added 20lbs of sand it my tank didn't clear up for months until I used to sock filter to get everything out of the water. The sock method should only take about a day or two. (good weekend project)

You, sir, are a genius. I did exactly this, and the water cleared up almost an hour later. I've been periodically stirring the sand throughout the day, and the water has never been clearer!!!

Only question I have is, am I jeopardizing the beneficial bacteria in the sandbed by constantly stirring it up? Should I expect a mini-cycle?

use a filtering cloth. i got cheap and just used a 100% cotton cloth and tied it to a maxi jet. cleared the water in a few hrs. might even do it again to get the crap out.

Archived