inTank Media Baskets

What is it?

keljim's

Is there a difference in a mushroom coral and a mushroom anemone? How about a mushroom anemone and a carpet anemone? Can someone identify this animal? It came in on my live rock, and is growing well, but I'm not sure what it is. I thought a carpet anemone, but I've seen similar looking things called by other names. I'm a little confused. Is zooplex the right food for it whatever it is? It has grown from about 1" across to nearly 2" in just about a month.

How can it eat a fish? It has no mouth? Are you sure? Ishrivels up really small at night with the lights off. It's not an anemone then? What should I do with it? It is pretty, but I don't want to keep something if it is going to be destructive to my tank.

It's fine. It's just a 'shroom, aka mushroom, aka mushroom coral, aka mushroom anemone. The larger elephant ears that I've seen are round, flat and thick, not thin and split like that one.

Even if it is an Elephant ear, it's not a problem. If it gets big, sell it for something else. I'd bet that it won't get that much bigger. If it's growing like you said, you will probably start multiplying, which is good if you like how they look.

huh? so there are different types of mushrooms? I know different colors, but this looks nothing like my other mushrooms which are not transparent and have a more felt-like appearance.

As I said, it's very transparent as you cansee by the turbo snail that is partially under it's edge. I seems to be only attatched at the center. It has a slightly convoluted edge. Am I feeding it the right stuff? The ZooPlex?

Kel, it's a mushroom. Mushrooms do have mouths; that would be the raised part in the center of the mushroom. They shrink down at night or when disturbed and fully open during the day. It attaches to the rock with a pedal disk which is what you are describing as "attached in the center."

There are many, many different types of mushrooms. I'm not sure if anyone has suggested this book to you yet, but an excellent reference for corals is Eric Borneman's Aquarium Corals. Lots of pictures and detailed info on the care of corals.

no, light is.

While you can target feed them with flake or pellet food, and large specimens have been known to eat small fish, mushrooom corals receive most of their nutritional requirements through the photosynthesis of the symbiotic algae zooxanthellae which they host.

should be in one of those books you bought...

;)

Archived