Cultivated Reef

Where the photsphates coming from?

Dani3d

Hi,

I just bought a new photsphate test and tested my tap water and it contain 0 phosphates.

I then tested the aquarium water and there was a small amount of phosphates...so where is it coming from it there is none in my tap?

To be sure I retested the tap again and again there is zero phosphates.

What's in the tank is aragonite live sand and live rocks and I used Prime to neutrilize the chlorine.

Does anyone know if Seachem Prime contain phosphates? if not then can it be coming from the aragonite?

I am puzzled as to where it is coming from.

thanks.

All living organisms contain phosphates(phosphor).

It's concentrated in the cell membranes and mitochondria.

When those cells die they release it.

You have at least algae and bacteria growing on the rocks.

Dying on the rocks too.

If you think some additive contains phosphates put it in some distilled water and test it.

edit, to clarify, the phosphor may not be in phosphate form when in the cell.

It is usually bound as some other molecule.

Ok I will try that. I did not rinse the live sand as well as I was told not to rinse it by the LFS and on the bag it says not needed to rinse, and after putting it there was a LOT of foam at the top of the water so maybe the phosphate is coming from the aragonite live sand, not sure.

I was told that Prime does not contain phosphates but I will test it.

All living organisms contain phosphates.

It's concentrated in the cell membranes and mitochondria.

When those cells die they release it.

You have at least algae and bacteria growing on the rocks.

Dying on the rocks too.

If you think some additive contains phosphates put it in some distilled water and test it.

there is no chloramine in our water, only a little chlorine which is removed with aerationa and Seachem Prime.

I always use Prime to condition my water. That also detoxify ammonia and nitrites etc.

There is no nitrates nor phosphates in the tap, as I tested it. The phosphates are coming from somewhere else, probably from the live rock.

Doing water change with tap water lower it. I guess I just have to keep doing those water changes until the live rock is cured.

I will use RO water to do water change once the tank is cycled but for now it is too expensive to keep up with those water change if I use RO.

Phosphate tests are often inaccurate. You should be more concerned with using tap water than a phosphate reading:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/jan2004/chem.htm

• 2 weeks later...
+1

Tap water is bad.

And its not just ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, and chlorine in the tap water you have to worry about...

Theres tons of other things that i refuse to let get into my tank.

Another +1

There is a LFS in my town that uses tap water with conditioner for all of his reef tanks! I tried to explain to him one day that by installing carbon filters with an RO/DI unit, he would not have to use any conditioners, and would end up with water that was 100X cleaner. (To no avail.)

All of the tanks there are caked with hair algae, among other things. He still sticks to the conditioner tho, as the supplier gave him some wild sales pitch about it.

Sorry to jack your thread.. I'll also comment that phosphates come in pretty much every soap, so if you wash your hands and then root around in your tank, thats bad. Also, rinse everything thoroughly with clean water before sticking it in your tank. I keep a bucket of RO/DI next to my tank for rinsing stuff, etc.

Archived