ReefCleaners.org

Wierd DAmsel behavior

hameen40

I have a 4-stripe DAmsel that keeps scraping itself on the rock, sand heater, anything it comes across. It repeatedly scrapes just one side of it's body.

Anyone have a clue on why it does this?

Sounds like he has an itch! LOL! I would check to see if he has any diseases such as ich. Look to see if he has any spots on him. Is he eating normally and ok with everything else?

I see no spots on it and it eats perfectly normal. It's jus wierd how it scrapes itself. Moves back and forth pretty fast scratching itself.

It's probably nothing but I was just curious.

If the water quality was bad wouldn't all the fish act the same way? My readings are all pretty good, I just began cycling the tank 4 days ago. Ammonia has just started rising, the nitrites and nitrates are still at 0.

I just put the fish in there 3 days ago. I hope I didn't get a sick fish.

Originally posted by hameen40

If the water quality was bad wouldn't all the fish act the same way? My readings are all pretty good, I just began cycling the tank 4 days ago. Ammonia has just started rising, the nitrites and nitrates are still at 0.

Cycling tank = the worst possible water conditions. The fish has a better than even chance of dying during the cycle due to poisoned water. Listen to Acoustic.

I think that you need to read up a little byte on starting a saltwater reef tank. You can start by going here:

X) [/b]

I don't plan on setting up a reef for that reason I chose the traditional way of cycling the tank. I know most people use LR and/or LS but I don't want to add any of that. I added a few pieces of LR but it is not enough to cycle the tank. I just used them to make caves.

But this is cruel to your fish. I have a few questions for you: How many fish do you have? How big is the tank? What temperature do you keep the tank at? At the LFS, were there any dead or dying damsels in the same tank? Was the fish unusually bright in color? Does the animal react to its enviornment (including you)? Is the LR you have fully cured? Is the animal thiner or fatter than it should be? What was the LFS you bought it at? Answer these questions, and you might find your answer.

P.S., 4 stripes are mean fish, I had one; it killed all but one of the other fish in its tank (the other fish was a scopas tang)

To answer your questions maroonclown. I have 3 damsels in a 30g. I keep the temp at 78F(this goes to 79 sometimes). At the LFS I bought the damsels from there were no dead fish in the tank. They all seemed pretty healthy. Actually the ones I have look healthy too. The fish are not unusually bright but there is something that confuses me. When I get back from work and turn on the hood light, the color of the 4 stripe damsels is really dull. The white looks brown, but in 5 mins the color is fully restored. Is their skin light sensitive?? The fish do react to the environment esp when I put my hand in the water. Infact I have noticed they are very territorial. If one fish enters the other ones territory it attacks it. I guess this will be a problem when introducing new fish. Someone told me that if I move the stuff in my tank around it will confuse the fish and they lose their territory. I should do this when adding new fish. The LR I have is fully cured, infact I bought it with coralline growing on it. The fish donot seem fatter or thinner, they look pretty much the same as most damsels I have seen. They seem happy for now, the one damsel has also stopped scratching itself. I guess it was just an itch.

Why do you think it is cruel to cycle the tank with damsels. Before buying equipment I read a book on keeping saltwater aquariums, it suggested 1 damsel per 5 gallons for cycling. I went to 5 different LFS to seek different opinions, they suggested damsels would be the best way to cycle if I don't plan on a reef.

Please let me know if I am doing something wrong. The ammonia is starting to go up but ver gradually.

I would appreciate any ideas or comments. I don't want to mess up and end up killing some fish.

Well, damsels are usually suggested for cycling because they are cheap and relatively hardy. That way, when most of them die, you are not out too much money.

Ammonia is very toxic, and if the fish live through the ammonia spike, they should be OK. If you have good quality, cured rock, the cycle may be minimal.

The way to cycle a tank without killing any fish is to either just put live rock in the tank and let the dead matter on the rock run the cycle, or to throw a piece of raw shrimp in the tank, which will cycle it by rotting.

The damsels color change is normal; they do this in the wild. If you add in un-cured rock, it develops at the same speed as cycling with the damsels. Then you don't have territory issuses with the damsels. The other cycling method I know of, but have not tried, is to use ammonium chloride in a solution. I have heard that this works almost the same as the damsels, and you can add your entire fish population almost imediatly after the cycle. You can try this, but I don't know if it will work.

Thanks for all your comments. I really appreciate everyone's comments. I have one more question. I am on day 6 of the cycling process, and i have like 6 or 7 pounds of cured LR. If I add more cured LR do you think the cycling process will be less stressful on the damsels?

It might. Some dealers just throw the rock in tank and sell it as cured. But it might help, and it won't hurt to try; make your mistakes now, it will save you from larger ones later.

If the LR is not fully cured you're going to kick your tank into yet another cycle, but seeing as how you're only partially into the cycle, you may as well. I would suggest returning the fish to the LFS and completing the cycle fishless. The damsels really aren't necessary for cycling a tank and it is rather cruel imo.

I read a book on keeping saltwater aquariums, it suggested 1 damsel per 5 gallons for cycling.

There are still books in circulation that say the world is flat. Choose your information carefully.

I went to 5 different LFS to seek different opinions, they suggested damsels would be the best way to cycle if I don't plan on a reef.

LFS information is crap and should always be treated with a grain of salt.

Archived