Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

SE vs. DE

xxaquanutxx

Hi all,

I was wondering what the difference between the SE and DE's are.. I know the DE's come with a UV coating on them, and SE's dont. Is there anything else besides that.. Thanks a Mill..

:blink:

Just the opposite. SE come with a UV shield, DE do not. DE tend to put out slightly more light, but they are really the same thing. The nice thing about DE for nano purposes is they are very small and thus easier IMO to build a suitable hood for.

So if the SE's are UV protected, then I would be able to put them on a hood with light being able to escape and not have to worry about going blind? Would I have to get a special balast for an SE? I am lighting a 10g, and am thinking of going 70.. are there SE's made in 75W?

Just the opposite. SE come with a UV shield, DE do not. DE tend to put out slightly more light, but they are really the same thing. The nice thing about DE for nano purposes is they are very small and thus easier IMO to build a suitable hood for.

Have you seen a SE bulb? I'm not talking big in wattage terms but in actual bulb size....it's big. 75 watt SE bulbs are also limited in brand and spectrum availability. DE 70w setups have a lot more options for you.

Cameron

It is a rather limiting bulb, but after a second look, a medium base 70watt halide is quite possible...in fact not a bad idea. Keep in mind that there are really only 2 K bulbs you can get...20,000 and 6500...not alot of variety here (might be more, but all I could find...marine depot has them). But, considering 70wattDE bulbs are pretty much only 10,000 or 20,000K...not bad. And although a 70wattDE may be smaller, it needs a UV shield and full reflector to prevent leakage. A 70watt medium base could be held over open water. The medium base would make it's mounting versitile as well. The 70watt bulbs arent too big really...they arent the monsters like 1000watters, or huge like 400watters, or as bulky as a 250 or 175watt bulb...according to the specs I have found, they appear about as big as one of those tungsten tube bulbs (you know, from one of those old freshwater fixtures you have collecting dust in your basement).

I suggest if you're going with a 10g, you go with a 150w DE. Almost the same price as the 70w (same price for bulb and holders and reflector, just a little more for the ballast).

Go with a 150 DE. As said before, it costs just a little more than a 70w DE (actually, I think 150w bulbs cost about $70-$80, 70w bulbs cost about $80-$90). Plus, you can get a 20000k or 10000k bulb without having to search for them. HTH.

Archived