ReefCleaners.org

Copepods in a cycle

Carl_in_Florida

Carl_in_Florida

I am at about week 3 of my cycle. At about the 2 week mark I could not believe the algae outbreak I had. I decreased my lighting to about 8 hours a day and it slowed down. (I would post photos but if you held a piece of green and red paper really close to your face you would see the same thing). I was looking to see if any other bipods died and I found out that I am having a copepod outbreak. I know these are good but what does it mean about my cycle?

My nitrate is down to around 20 ppm. I do not have a nitrite or ammonia test.

Thanks for the info.

Carl

Perfectly normal to see an increase in the amount of pods you have in the tank. Keep an eye on the levels and you really could, at this point, do a WC to lower the nitrate and speed up the cycle. Keep testing and give it another week or two and you're good to go.

Carl_in_Florida

I did a water small water change about a week ago in the hopes that I would not kill everything in the cycle. I have uncured live rock and I would rather the cycle be a little slower and keep the diversity then have a quick, all killing, cycle. Anyway, since I did a water change is it ok for me to do another or should i wait. Like i said i do not have an amonia or nitrite test (figured i would not need them after the cycle just nitrate, phosphate and calcium and SG) so i cannot test them but i do know that when i test nitrates it does not immediately become purple like it did. I was actually shocked, like, "this is actually working!"

Anyway, what do you think about ongoing water changes?

Carl_in_Florida

Not to beleaguer you all but I am also having a major bubble outbreak. I am sure that circulation is not the issue. I am guessing that it is because of the same reason as my algae bloom. I am hoping that this will all subside when my levels get to normal and the cleanup crew goes to work.

Sound right?

Archived