ReefCleaners.org

soap and tank

laserman24

Hello

I heard at my LFS that if soap was ever used to clean out a tank that it can never be used for an aquarium again. They said you can never get out the soap in the glass. Is that true?

Thanks

Jason

Well, it depends on what kinda soap you were using. But yes, some compounds from the soap can possibly soak into the silicon sealent and leach back into the tank if it were to be used as an aquarium. Example: copper (found in some medicines, more for freshwater).

I would not suggest using soap to clean your aquarium. I however made the mistake one day of using the kitchen soap/bleach mix instead of just bleach and water.. I couldnt figure out for the life of me why all these apple scented bubbles kept on popping up when ever i scrubbed.. after thoroughly rinsing my tank, I was forced to put the fish back in.. and till this day they are all doing a OK! But I would not recomend playing your odds with this.. :)

Soap can be removed. Soap is water soluable! Try cleaning a glass window with soap, and you will notice that it IS possible to remove it all!

Unlike soap, bleach will actually form a solid crystalline deposit, but even that can be rinsed away or else xxaquanutxx would have had a problem.

Hell, if you're that worried, a razor blade will remove ALL film from glass.

LFS like to sell things, and the people working there are only human, and often low-paid ones at that. Clean the talk really well and you'll be ok.

Archived