Top Shelf Aquatics

eclipse 12 good for a nano reef

jacobz

well right now i have a 30 gallon oceanlife tank with proteen skimmer and a canister filter. i have about 30lbs. if live rock in it. im thinking about taking it apart and buying a eclipse12 tank. i am wondering what kind of light kit should i buy for it and should i use the the proteen skimmer on it or just use the filter it comes with.

thanks

jacob zeairs

You could use a 32W CustomSeaLife Super Nova SmartLite Retrofit, but do a search on Eclipse and you get a few hundred threads on that tank. Some like them, but they are hard to modify for special equipment (including lighting). Most take out the bio-wheel and use the filter just for flow.

top_search.gif?

I've been getting info on my Eclipse system12. Go to the lighting forum and look under the thread 'lighting a system12'. One of the people who responded has 2x32 with photos. I am using a Lee's skimmer and a couple of really small powerheads in mine and have taken out the stock filter assembly all together. I have a 32w retro fit on order. BTW Seabass, your mini-bow looks awesome!

I've got an Eclipse 12 with the CSL 2x32W lights and love them! : I like the fact that there are 2 lights, 1 actinic and 1 10000K. You can simulate a dusk/dawn effect switching one light on 30 mins before both are turned on in the AM and PM. To mod the hood for the lights, I had to remove the stock filter assembly, but I thought it sucked anyways and only used it for circulation (biowheel and filter removed). I replaced the stock filter with a aquaclear 150 HOB, and liked that, but switched to a seaclone protein skimmer today. It's not broken in yet and I'm very skeptical about it now that I've been reading all the negative posts about the seaclone. If it doesn't start producing skimmate soon and I can't take it back, I'll definately be modding it! X)

Back to the lights as far as keeping corals with the CSL 2x32W in a Eclipse 12: I only have a few green hairy shrooms, bown star polyps, and added a pagoda cup coral today. They all are doing great, alot better than they were fairing at my LFS! :P (I know that's not saying much!) My shrooms have gone from 2 to 5 in about 2-3 months, and the polyps are really extending out there! The HH zoo that I have has doubled it's size in only a couple weeks, and all the corals look awesome under the actinic lighting! ;)

Best upgrade for a tank IMO is lighting, and if you plan to upgrade, go for the 2x32 as opposed to the single 32W! :happy:

Archived