SaltCritters.com

lighting a system12

keljim's

I am trying to light a system12 eclipse, however the people at marinedepot.com are telling me that the one and only light that will fit my eclipse hood is the CustomSeaLife SuperNova 32w retro kit. Is this true? How are the rest of you lighting them? I know someone else told me a different kit, but they (marine depot) say it won't fit.

HI,

If you remove the 2 posts the the stock lighting are attached to, and remove the stock filter, which you already did, you can get a 2x32w retrofit under the hood. I have been running mine like this for almost a year now. Just leave the flap open when the lights are on, to keep the heat down.

Here's a pic to give you some idea.

just an after thought...you folks might want to share some of your lighting expertise with the people at these supply places, becuse they don't really know what you know, which is that there are more pssibilities than they think!

keljim's, i can further back up the whole 2x32 retro plan. i too had received my first inspiration for this whole project from mr bobioden. he had emailed me some pictures just like the one you see above, because i was also told that it wouldn't work in the eclipse hood. the only other work you have to do is drilling the holes in the hood that are predrilled in the reflector. it was fairly simple. i even had enough room to set up a moonlight system w/2 blue led bulbs. and i think the whole project was well worth it. if you order the 2x32 retro, i recommend finding the one that comes with the 10,000k daylight bulb as opposed to the one that comes with the 6500k daylight bulb. the reason for this is that the 6500k daylight has a more yellowish color to it, whereas the 10k has a more bluish tint to it. in my opinion, the bluer the better. and i think marinedepot only carries the kit with the 6500k bulb. but it's all matter of personal preference. as long as you know that it has been done(at least twice), go for it. good luck.. j.

bobioden, your tank is looking great. i see you already installed your cpr aquafuge... how is that working for you??? i don't know if you remeber me, but i sent you an email a while back about your light setup because that set up was what i wanted to use but wasn't sure that i could. i'm still grateful for your help, because your advice helped me a lot, and i was able to accomplish what i was told couldn't be done. i am totally impressed with my light setup, i just wish i had access to a digital camera so that i could show off my tank... soon enough though, x-mas is coming, so we will have to wait and see. thanks again... j...

Gorgeous! I am really excited about getting new lighting in mine. I am curious, do you know any thing about MH lighting? Not for my 12, but for a 29 gallon show. I was thinking about the MH and CF combo.

Using the eclipse 1 hood which I guess is on the 12 too, you can do a 2x32 without taking out the filter. I'm currently waiting on my 96watt quad that is going in my eclipse1 on my 15gal. It's going to just fit where the stock lighting was, still using the stock filter. Right now I have 4x13watt bulbs in there, I cut the ends off the plastic cover for air circulation. I won't be able to use that for the quad though, so I had a piece of plexi cut to sit along the tank rim and protect it from spray.

I think a regular Eclipse hood is different than the System12 System6, and System3. They (12,6,3) are shaped in a tapered manner getting narrower towards the back. I have heard other people talking about doing thse high intensity light set-ups though. Very cool. I'm thinking I'm going to do the MH and PC combo on my 29g. I haven't evn started on it yet, just doing the research right now!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Eclipse 12 as well and I have a 96w powerquad that I put together myself. It fits the hood too but you do need to leave the lid off to dissipate heat. PM me if you're interested in finding out how I did it.

my eclipse12 stays at 80-82 degrees day and night with the 2x32 retro kit. but i leave the feeding lid open 24/7. i can imagine that it would get pretty hot in there if the lid were shut... keep in mind that i got my lights at the beginning of winter when it was starting to cool down a bit, so this thing has never exerienced the triple-digit temperatures of a west texas summer. last summer, my tank never raised above 84 degrees with the stock lighting, and i had the lid down most of the time. so i guess i'll just have to wait and see this summer how my tank temp does.... i do have a small 6" fan hooked up right above the tank just in case, and i only had to use it a few times this last summer. but it is well worth any temp problems you might face, because these lights make my 12er look awesome.... oh yeah, keljim's, i ordered my 2x32w retro from champion lighting for $114 and this is including shipping. it also comes with the 10,000k daylight as opposed the 6500k daylight that comes from marinedepot. here's the website (www.championlighting.com) good customer service.. i recommend them, but that's just me. good luck to all, especially my fellow eclipse rebels. peace...

Archived