Coral Vue Hydros

Bubbles coming from sand / all over tank.

darwin604

I recently had another cyano / algae bloom in my tank and it seems to be dying down a bit. However, I seem to have bubbles accumulating all over my tank. They arent coming from my powerhead / filter and they seem to be most concentrated around the algae. . . not sure what the cause is, but its a bit strange.

On another note . . I also have bubbles coming out of my sand. I can see them if I look at my tank against the glass and when my hermies walk around on it little bubbles come out. Substrate is aragonite. This 'bubble issue' has been going on for a while and I've heard everythign from it being toxic mustard gas to broken down nitrates . . some clarification would be nice. Corals / inhabitants are in good health but I'm still getting a bit weirded out.

Not that I have something against bubbles . . but what the heck is goin on?

d.

ps. nano is now about 9 months old, aragonite was 'dead' when I put it in but since then I have added a bunch of LR so theres probably a few things crawling around in it now.

on the algae, sounds like it's time for me to go to bed....

:P It's late man!!! Um oxygen being released by photosynthesis.... In the sand....? I dunno...

The bubbles in your sand will only be nitrates converting to nitrogen in a DSB -- this process happens anaerobically when your sand bed is at least 4 inches ... and you have to have the low oxygen critters in your send to funnel water into these regions (hence the importance of good quality LS in a DSB).

I had the same thing, FWIW. Turned out to be more photosynthesis. Once I got the fighting conch, nassarius snails, and a couple ceriths to clean up my substrate, no bubbles.

Archived