Coral Vue Hydros

Live rock: Local or Mail order? 5.5gal nano

bp_968

Ok, i priced out gulf-views rock and 10 lbs of rock and 5lbs live sand shipped runs 75$. Figure if I buy 10lbs of live rock local the BEST I can get is 7$ a pound or 77.00$ or so after tax (no live sand either). Does this sound like the right amount of stuff? If I go mail order am I going to end up with a smelly rotting tank in my room? If I do order, any special prep I should do before it arrives other than good water parameters, lights, heat, and water flow?

Itching to get this rolling! ;)

Thanks so much so for for all your help here guys.

Ben

BTW, I didn't mention I live gulf view / TBS because of the whole conservation aspect, not to mention their rock is amazing looking.

Of course, I can't imagine getting a mantis in the 5.5.. That would suck.

Ben

Carl_in_Florida

I got gulfview rock for my tank. I live in Florida so the shipping did not cost me much.

Be sure to understand the cycling process with uncured rock. Some people clean their rock regularly during the cycle, there is no way my wife would dig me elbow deep in my tank every other day so I just let mine be. That being said, go ahead and trim all the live plant that is hanging off the rock because it will most likely die and it has enough root to grow back. Also, it will have these bipods all over it. They are cool because there is action from the getgo with them opening and closing but watch out. If you place a rock on one it will open and shift your whole pile.

Like I said, I did not clean my rock well and in retrospect I wish i did because now I have all kinds of funk in my sand bed.

I cannot help you with the "is it a good value question," because I do not know what uncurred rock goes for in your area.

Hope this helps.

Carl

as cool as it all looks from gulf-view and TBS I think I'll go local so its cured. its in my room, I have no protein skimmer and its a 5.5g and its my FIRST saltwater. When I move in six months and setup my 30 with the 20L sump and the Halides (have everything except 1 halide) I'll do the TBS "package".

Thanks for the info!

Ben

Archived