Innovative Marine Aquariums

lighting a 5.5 nano, need help.

bp_968

Current setup is 2 19w curly 6500k bulbs. I have room for 2 more of those AND 2 13watt PCs (it would be an oven then probbably).

I'm thinking of adding the 2PC lights as either 10k and 03, or 03 and 03.

Any Suggestions?

Here is a photo. Should I mount the PC lights down the center (my original plan) and leave room for 2 more 19w 6500k's (muhahah!) or should I mount them like I did the first 2 6500k's?

Ben

So your thinking add 2 actinic03s and 2 curly 19w lights? I was wondering how much heat that would add. I'm using a thin plexiglass sheet over 2/3rds of the tank now to avoid evaporation but heat doesn't seem to be much of an issue. The room the system is in stays around 65 deg all year. Main thing I want to avoid is having to top off twice a day and fiddle with setting up some form of chiller. I won't be keeping clams or SPS for a while if at all (heard that before right? lol).

If you think setting it up that way wont turn it into an oven then no problem, only another 20$ over what I planned anyway.

Ben

Would I have any problems with basic corals using the two curly 19w lamps (38w total or 7 watts a gallon or so)? Id rather get it set up without spending another million on lights. I can always hang my 175w halide over it if I want SPS or clams later lol.

Also, any suggestions on a cheap reflector material?

Thanks again,

Ben

I ended up putting 2 more 19w lamps in there and plan on adding 2 13w 03 lamps here in another month or so.. Heat seems to be a non issue at this point.

Thanks for the input,

Ben

Archived