SaltCritters.com

lr

surfingelite

i ordered 10 lbs of Fiji live rock for a friend, but the shipping got messed up and it took 3 days to get to his house. he has a 29g tall tank that has been set up for about a year. he does not have a skimmer or a fuge. he has the rock in a bucket with salt water and a heater. should he put it in now or what? i have no idea what to do.

Smokin-Reefer

i'd test the water in the bucket and see what kind of die off is occuring. I'd bet it's substantial. you know what that means? He's gonna probably have to wait a month or more for the live rock to cure. Tell him to change the water every few days with water out of the tank, if he wants to preserve as much life as possible. Or, he could just wait it out and see whats left ( the latter being what I would do). check out www.wetwebmedia.com and read there faq's on curing liverock. Lots to be read over there, good info too.

hth

There is going to be die-off so I wouldn’t just add it to an established reef. Before putting it in the main tank, test the water that the LR is in until there is no more ammonia or nitrites.

he left the rock in bucket for 2 days and tested the water and had no nitrite, nitrate or ammonia spike (hard to believe) so he put them in the tank (disreguarding your and my advise) and it is doing fine, but he is doing a quarter water change everday since. I hope it will be ok

Archived