Pod Your Reef

aquarium water

ralva365

im buying a 3 stage RO system and im wondering if after i filter the 24 gallons of water through the RO unit do i need further chemical treatment prior to placing the water in the tank to start the cycle process? Thanks!

im buying a 3 stage RO system and im wondering if after i filter the 24 gallons of water through the RO unit do i need further chemical treatment prior to placing the water in the tank to start the cycle process? Thanks!

No, just be sure to leak test the tank with tap water first, then dump it and fill with RO.

Would hate for you to waste a day making 24gallons of RO and it leak :-p.

Also RO/DI is better if you havent ordered it yet, or if you can buy a DI add-on for it.

no, you are ready at that point :)

No, but you might want to kick start the cycle with some LR or active sand. You won't automatically populate with beneficial bacteria without seeding.

3stage RO? Some people like to run through another charcoal filter or DI after but then again some people don't do any filtration at all. Really, it's up to you. So again, short answer: no.

that 'live sand' doesn't have as much benificial bacteria as a few pieces (or even 1) of live rock, mostly because the sand as been sitting in a closed back for a while. Plus all the dead/dieing stuff that comes along with an initial piece of live rock helps the tank cycle.

yes once i get the first few steps out the way im deff shopping around for a nice set up of live rock. i think im going with a minimum of atleast 30 lbs of it.

I would buy a TDS meter.

Add a DI.

Go slower with the rock or just make sure you have plenty of swimming room for fish and real estate up front and sides for corals. I am starting to appreciate the idea of medium to lighter rock rather than tanks loaded with rock.

Wow! Im wondering how many things I am going to have to buy in order to maintain a 24 gall reef/fish tank! Let's see what happens after I get things cycling within the next few weeks with the rock and the sand. the last thing that i dont want to have to purchase is a chiller. i really dont want to. Im going to place the aquarium in a dark place with no lights and hope the temps stay within good range. what is this TDS meter all about? i purchase a RO Unit to serve as a water cleaner for my weekly water changes?

Archived