Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

8.4 pH , 6-7 KH

rahorman

Just ran a pH / alk. test for the first time in a few weeks, both with API test kits...Got 8.4 for pH, and 6-7 for KH. It turned from blue to more of a yellow after 6 drops, but then went bright yellow after 7, so I assume its prob more like 6.5.. How is my alk. so low but pH in normal range? Is this alk. too low? Should I use buffer?

bluefunelement

I had the same and confirmed it with a Salifert and Red Sea - a water change or two and now small dosing inbetween with something lightweight like DT's keeps it more stable

Yea, I do a 10% WC once a week, and I was using Kent Marine superbuffer dKH for a while but people were tellin me its a bad idea to dose ...Also if I use the Kent marine it would raise my pH, when my pH is already 8.4 (according to this kit) ...What do you guys think? All fish, inverts, and corals seem to be fine in my tank, should I just accept 6-7 alk?

I've had the same readings on the same kits in my tank. 7 dkh, 420 calcium and 8.4 pH. I've had no drop off in growth or color and have about 20 or so sps pieces in the tank. I have in the past week began to add kalkwasser using my ato to bring my dkh levels up.

I have a frogspawn, and an open maze brain coral ... both of which look healthy...Haven't tested my calcium in a while but will do later today or tomorrow. I will post tests once done.

Also, when I bought my first fish (maroon clown) and was still very inexperienced (this is my first tank, which I bought last July), the "expert" at my LFS asked what my alkalinity was, I did not know. So I bought the fish and a test kit he gave me, went home, tested my alk. and it was 6. I called him back and he said that is way too low for a maroon clown and I needed to buy a buffer to raise it up...This is why The 6-7 reading I'm getting makes me a little nervous

+1. Also, your corals, being LPS, don't depend as heavily on alkalinity/calcium for growth as SPS corals. Don't listen to an LFS that says alkalinity is significantly important for a maroon clown, or any fish for that matter. The main issue with a maroon is the adult size (up to 7") and aggression to other fish.

Archived