Pod Your Reef

Difference between water

polok121

So just a thought i have been having for a while now and i cant really figure out the best answer. I have been buying "distilled" water since the creation of my tank. the results have been great. the process on the container say; Steam Distillation, Micron Filtration, and Ozonation. the other water i can buy is "Spring wate" which is; Micron Filtration, and Ozonation. is there really a difference in the water? and i know i can always buy a reverse osmosis kit. But just for the sake of debate what is the difference between the two? what are the benefits? thanks

davidncbrown

After distillation shouldn't there no longer be particles that need to be filtered out? I mean theoretically. I don't know how efficient their distillation system is.

After distillation shouldn't there no longer be particles that need to be filtered out? I mean theoretically. I don't know how efficient their distillation system is.

thats what i was thinking..I mean in theory that would be the case. Distilled water would be like a clean slate right? but what about spring water?? is there anything wrong with that?

so would i be better of with spring?

Not sure, but I do hear the "purple cap" distilled @ walmart is good. I just use R/O. Can you buy R/O at your local LSF?

Scott Riemer

Sometimes, minerals are added to "spring" water for taste. Stick with distilled or buy yourself a RO/DI Unit and make your own.

Sometimes, minerals are added to "spring" water for taste. Stick with distilled or buy yourself a RO/DI Unit and make your own.

I have been using the green cap "processed by Reverse Osmosis" water at walmart for a while, recently got a TDS meter and it was at 006, I've also used the purple cap distilled, going to get some in a day or two and test it also, should be less TDS than the green-cap RO.

In order of purity least to best:

Tap water

Bottled Spring water

Bottled RO drinking water with minerals added for taste

Bottled or vending machine RO water

RO water from your own well maintained RO filter

Bottled or vending machine distilled water

and finally

Your own RO/DI water from a well maintained system

We all know tap water is inconsistent. Spring water is usually very high in minerals which is why it tastes so good. Prepackaged RO drinking water is usually remineralized to make it mimic spring water. Off the shelf bottled RO and vending machine water can be good or bad depending on the vendor and how well they maintain their equipment, there are no health regulations governing its quality. Having you own RO system is a big step and maintaining it is very easy and inexpensive. Packaged distilled water can still contain volatile chemicals that pass through with the captured steam which is then condensed back to water, still more pure than all the above though. Owning a RO/DI is by far the best option for most people. That way you alone control your water quality.

Archived