Top Shelf Aquatics

Confused Ich or pods?

Small Reefer

I've been reading the forums and am confused. My fish just died a few days back from what I thought was ick. I saw many small white spots on him. Well he went to fishy heaven. Now after that I have an outbreak of small white creatures on the acrylic. Some move like fleas other sit still in little groups like an infestation. Now is that copepods or tomites? Are we able to see tomites with the naked eye? I tried wipe off the glass but some are still in the tank moving around. I think they just float in the water and reattach to the rock and glass.

Another question is that my tank looks like a christmas decoration there is red and green all over. The green stuff looks like crayon on the glass I have to scrape with my nails to get it off. It's on the rocks too. The red stuff grows in patches or spots near the substrate. Then I have spot that may be coraline on the glass that I have to scrape off. What is the green and red stuff; algae or coraline?

Maybe someone can clarify those white creatures or parasites. And the christmas colors all over my glass. thanks much.

Ok! Ich looks like someone took sugar and "flicked" it onto your fish. Although fish can die from a bad outbreak of ich, it is often a opportunist parasite taking advantage of a stressed out fish (shipping, bad water, etc).

Sounds like you've got a pod explosion, it happens to most new tanks....you'll reach an equilibrium and they'll calm down.

As for the Xmas tree look....you should post some parameters when asking these types of Q's. For example, is it a new tank? When was it set up? What are you values when you test? Live stock? ect.

It sounds like you've got a newer tank and the red is probably diatoms and the green is algae (hair or film). Both will come and go as the tank matures, just keep up with w/c and maintaince it will pass.

there not parasites there pods leve them be there fine. as far as your alge goes its alge sorry about the spelling im holding my little girl. theres to many nutrients in the water . add a phosphate filter you are useing the approprite lighting are you not? and dont over feed. is it done cycleing ? that happens during cycleing

It has been 4 months now. Everything was fine before don't know what happened. Ammonia, Nitrite =0, nitrate = 10ppm.

5lb LR. 5lb LS

1 clown- now gone

2 hermies

1 xenia coral large that is spreading all over the place (but when I first got it it pulsed a lot, now it's doesn't)

I had the diatom bloom during cycle but that is gone now. The hair algae has been mowed by the hermies. The rocks are getting some purple coraline growth all over and it's spreading to the glass. The green and red stuff is hard not like algae. Beats me, I had a turbo snail before and he kept sliming up the glass so I took him out.

If it is pods it looks freaky like parasites all over. Hopefully my xenia will be okay.

its ok dude the pods are fine, what kind of water are you using ?

i have green and red algee i have a emerald crab that loves it. try getting one or lots of herms.

run a phosphate filter it takes all the food away from the algee and you might want to add some plants to compete like a shaving bush or maidens hair. make shure theres nothing that might be feeding it or something might have fallen in there like a penny. copper is pretty bad in a nano hard to detect metals cause lots of problems kill the bactiria in corals and other stuff.

just chek the water or take it to be checked and add some comptetition for the alge food in the tank. i have a shaving bush and maidens hair works great to controll the alg

oh the pods are a great food for some animals seahorse

and the hard to keep mandrin dragonets.

mine eat brine hehehehe and flake hehehehehe: :D

i traineded them hehehehe

Archived