Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Moonlight LED color

wallywaltt

Ok, just wondering what the ideal LED moonlight color is. Could you use green or blue? I think most people use white or blue, and does anyone know the difference between white and blue, as for what the fish and corals like more? I believe CSL uses a white LED in there Moonlights. Anyone with any knowledge on this, please post.

matt the fiddler

well, consider this. on the rainbow color / freq line. ROYGBIV

infrared, red, orange, and yellow are the first colors to get blocked by the water. [blue, indigo, and UV are the last to go- this the good light that helps algae grow] even at 3 feet, a significant amount of red is gone... in the real world- no red gets to anything but the shallowest of corals..

are you trying to make something look disco, or realistic? the white and the blues i think will work for better health and animal interaction- because that is the spectrum the animals are used to having on full mooned nights.. [and being on several full moon night dives.. i can say that dim moon blue is haunting ..... especailly when the fish's trails light up the biolumence from the planckton in the water] so cool..

i would go for as real as possible. watch what really happens- and try to copy nature/ physics in your tanks

oh, and white [assuming it is pure white.. if there is such a thing] is just a more neutral color to bring out some of the reds of corals at night... it is closer to nature at least than red alert

matt the fiddler

black lights in general are bad- wrong spectrum.. unless you want bad algae and to hurt stuff in your tank [too powerfull in the wrong spectrum]

matt the fiddler

here are some links for study.. lol lot sot learn ;-)http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/lighting/.../a/aa022800.htm

several good chaptes on lighting.. read that.. discusses the issues you are addressing..

"Basically, and without getting into a deep science seminar, the lower the Kelvin, the more yellow the light. Hence, the higher the Kelvin, our light appears starkly white or blue-white. Getting way up there into the 20,000K range, the bulbs actually appear to glow dark blue! Shades of the blacklight craze! Oh no, don't EVEN go there! Blacklight has tons of that nasty ultraviolet, and our animals don't like that at all! Save it for the bowling alleys or fuzzy posters!"

this is a good chart. "http://saltaquarium.about.com/library/weekly/aa031300f.htm"

Archived