SaltCritters.com

how to measure?

keljim's

Ahhh...you're starting that new tank ?

29 gal = Metal halide + 2x55W Actinic 03 CF's

250W MH 10K + 2x55W Act 03 on here....

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=21899

granted, this one is taller than your's, but don't make the same expensive mistake I did.....bought one I thought *might* work...then had to buy the ones that DID work.....

You can also use 2 or 3 55 or 65 W CF's....would be cheaper initially, and if you start with the 55/65 W CF's, you can add MH later if you so choose...

just my opinion....

yes, you can put a light into the fixture in the hood.

Even though it measures 23" it is considered a 24" bulb.

Take gololf's advice and take your tube in to match it up. I would suggest going to someplace that carries a 10K bulb.

Petsmart is such a place.

You will be limited in the corals that will be able to flourish under that lite.

You should be able to have some mushrooms or zoanthus corals..

Sorry for the confusion.

FWIW:

MH = Metal Halide. High wattage, very bright bulbs.

CF = Compact Flourescents (also known as PC's or Power Compacts)

W = Watts

Actinic 03 = type of bulb that has it's predominate color in the blue spectrum. Looks blue/purple when lit alone. Corals use it for

for growth

10K = color spectrum or temperature of the majority of reef bulbs in use today measured in degrees Kelvin. The higher the number, the more "blue" the bulb.

Hence light produced by a 6500K bulbs will have a yellow tint as opposed to a 10000K (10K) bulb which has a "bright white/blue" tint to it. You wouldn't want any bulb lower than 6500K for the main light over a reef tank.

HTH

Archived