Cultivated Reef

please help me

chubba

Hi everyone,

I'm totally a beginner in this topic. I have freshwater aquariums for several years now, and I've breeded several species too. I just have heard about nanoreef aquariums, and found your site. I want to know how it works, do I need external filter or the equipment (I don't know its name) that takes protein foam away? (I've seen it in bigger saltwater aquariums)

Unfortunately there's no bibliography about saltwater and nanoreef aquariums in my country. So that's why I need your answer.

What would you offer for a 40 liters (sorry I can't count in gallons:blush: ) aquarium?

Corals? Fish? Shrimps? Anemones?

What would you offer for the lighting and heating?

Thanks a lot for your answers in advance!

Best wishes:

Csaba from Hungary (Europe)

I would love to help you - but I do not know how many gallons 40 Liters equals...if you could tell me that - I could probably help you with what kinds of fish you can have....

Originally posted by nanonewbies

I would love to help you - but I do not know how many gallons 40 Liters equals...if you could tell me that - I could probably help you with what kinds of fish you can have....

Okay. let's say about 50 liters. i just have found a counter. it is about 10-11 gallons.

ok this can be a helpful site:

http://www.fishindex.com/library/

but for that small of a tank - which is roughly what I have, you can't have too many fish if you plan to have a lot of corals, maybe 2 or 3 fish at the max. and only if they are small (2 - 3 inches when fully grown).

You can have blennies, Gobies (such as the Yellow Clown Goby, but there are other choices), Pyjama Cardinalfish, Bangaii cardinalfish, Clowns, strawberry dottybacks, green chromis, Basslets (such as a royal gramma), you can have damsels - but they are very territorial! I've been told to stay away from them - but others have had luck, it's your call on that one - ask your LFS...you can also have wrasses - but they are also mean fish - I have been told! I hope the website helps you, it helped me when I was trying to figure out what fish I could have. Just take your time and look through them all, the more popular ones will have a little bio on them that you can read, and it will tell you how many gallons that particular fish needs to be in and how big it will get and if it is reef safe - etc., you will see what I mean! I personally like the cardinalfish, gobies, royal gramma, chromis and the blennies, they are all fun fish to watch, plus most of them are pretty colorful, so they add a lot to your tank! Only add one at a time and at least a month apart!

I hope this is helpful - sorry it is so long...I just love fish and could talk about them forever!

P.S.

with a tank that size - you should not put a Tang in there - lots of people try to do it because they are such awesome fish - but that is too small for a Tang....FYI........

What are the requirements of a good nano reef tank water? pH, gH, NO3, NO2 etc. ?

And what kind of water do you use for mixing seawater? is water from faucet ok, or do i need RO water?

ph should 8.2

what is gH? I'm not familiar with that - but I'm new to all this too..

For NO3 anywhere for 0 - 5 is ok - but 0 is best.

NO2 should be 0.

You should use RO water for mixing and top offs.

Protein Skimmer I think is up to you - I don't have one - but others will swear by it - do a search on the other forums for "protein skimmer" and you will get all kinds of opinions about them!

GH = General Hardness If im not mistaken this test is used by fresh water folks.

For Saltwater we use KH, Carbonate Hardness. This is measured in dkh or meql. For a salt tank dkh above 6 is required, 10dkh or better is perfered by most people.

hth

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

I've just started my tank. It's a starter tank because i don't have my 10 gallon tank yet. it is about 4,5 g, with 1 lb. salt, 4 lbs live sand and 1 lb live rock. Today im gonna buy more live rocks. And i'm quite happy, because i've got a snail. It was on the live rock :)

Merry Xmas 2 U all!

L.P.A. (Love, Peace, Aquarium) :D

Archived