Innovative Marine Aquariums

Reef Octopus Extreme 200

fewskillz

I bought a Reef Octopus Extreme 200 by CoralVue for my 125. It's in a 30g long sump running in 9 to 10" of water depth. The pump is strong, quiet, and efficient (only 40 watts). It was packaged well and easy to assemble. Only problem was the drain hose was really really tight and really short. I tried it on the drain nipple on the collection and decided I didn't want it there. It was so tight that it broke the nipple off when I was trying to remove it. The nipple plug luckily still works. I was pretty pissed that I broke my new toy within 10 minutes of opening it though.

Skimmer in action:

010410skimmer.jpg

Collection cup, about 2.5 days in:

010410Collectioncup.jpg

This skimmer is incredible. It's huge, yet has a reasonable footprint, and is the shortest skimmer I could find in this capacity range. It's also the cheapest I could find in this capacity range. I've never owned a high end skimmer, but I've seen them in action. I promise I will never purchase one, not with how well the Reef Octopus is working so quickly. It started skimming after about 5 hours. So far I'm very happy with my purchase.

I will try to report back with updates the longer I have this thing.

I have the same skimmer on my 75g and it is a freakin' beast. I will never buy expensive skimmers again.

Wait a month until you have to have a brush to get the crap out of the neck on the collection cup. Really disgusting. :BARF:

Archived