Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Blue or black background?

nano neophyte

nano neophyte

This is a pretty basic question but I keep going back and forth on it. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to one color or the other? Which do you prefer? What's on your background?

i use a black background painted to the tank. i think a deep sea blue is nice too. gives the feeling of depth. light blue gives (me) the image of a lfs. subjective call.

Black is ok but kinda dreary. Blue definately brightens up the tank and makes it more appealing. Check out Christopers Marks' background in the members section or Sahin's background at the home page, really nice.

NaNO ReeFiN

Just purchase one of those aquarium wallpapers with blue on the front and black on the back. You can switch it back and forth to whatever mood you're in... :)

But I agree with Chromis, once you go black, you'll never go back!

black is way cool, it really makes the colors of the coral and fish stand out, and doesn't have to remind you of the LFS tanks.

I painted the back of my tank flat black and I am really happy with it. I don't care for the bright blue backgrounds, but I have seen a couple with deep blue backgrounds that look nice also.

I say get a second tank and have one of each :)

I kind of like both, but i don't paint because I want to see back of my tank sometimes (using mirror). There are ton of things growing there and interesting to see too...

talk about mirror; it's bad idea if you have clowns, if they see mirror, they'll think there is another clown and try to fight with it... well ... kind of jerking it's body to show who is who sort of thing (I like to do that to my girl sometimes, it so cute see she defense her teritory)... :)

I like the dark blue. But I don't use any, I've found it drives Newman crazy. I put it up to give him exercise every few days. :) I guess the reflection changes and he thinks there is another fish in the tank with him. I just put it up and he's really p*ssed!

NaNO ReeFiN

An aquarium with a light blue color will have the fish and everything blend in so it's not as nice IMO... A dark blue or black is the way to go..

i like the deep electric blue. ive tried black and it just doesnt look as nice to me on my tank. the blue goes good with all of the colors in my tank.

"The fish and stuff will blend into the blue?" haha, smart comment. Anyways, after a long hiatus from the boards, i am back, kinda, (still frustrated that my 500 posts were divided by 4)but anyways, I have had both blue and black backrounds and it is a matter of preference. The black sucks in a lot of light, and that is what i currently have. It is up to you, but blue is probably a little bit better of a choice, as to putting that cheap paper and reversing it in the back of the tank, again, not such a smart comment ha. That stuff looks so cheap. I would suggest using a nice Rust Oleum spray paint for a couple of coats, and you should be fine. Hope this helps you,

gaber

nano neophyte

Frankly, I'm pleasantly surprised at the number of responses I got to this question and the varried responses. Blue .. or .. black would seem to be a matter of personal preference.

Has anyone decided to do something entirely different than the standard black or blue?

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts.

Hmmm...I was thinking perhaps RED ?

Hehehe.

Seriously, I think blue-deep blue is the best.

Balck looks fine on FW tanks, but on SW, it will just absorb too much light.

Lighter colours reflect a lot of light back into the tank, and also give the appearance of a brightly lit tank.

I like the blue.

Go with blue.

Blue is best.

:P

Archived