Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mixing salt with RO water

Stevie D

I am changing to RO water from my LPS because i found out that my water supply just started adding nitrates to the water.

I was under the assumption that all you have to do is add a good quality salt mix (I use Instant Ocean) to a salinity of around 1.025 to the RO water and that's all you need.

My LFS said that RO water has a low PH and you need something to adjust the PH higher. I thought the salt mix and the live sand and live rock i have does this for me??

What do you guys use for your salt mixture. If you do add something for the PH what do you use??

I never had a problem with my tap water and it was very good until they added 10ppm nitrates...

Stevie D

Im not an expert, but I have been told that RO/DI has NO pH maybe they mean low as in "7".(welcome to correction on this) I just add salt. if you get a salt with a good Alkalinity, you have no worries. You could research the relationship between pH and Alkalinity, it would help. Also, a reverse photoperiod on the refugium will help with pH swings.

I WAS adding Alkalinity to my salt mix..

There are not enough ions to measure pH accurately in RO and especially RO/DI water. Its no big deal as the salt will buffer it to where it needs to be.

So all that information i read yesterday about water changes and salt mixes was very informative, thanks!! I still don't have a decisive answer to if you need to add anything to stabilize the PH or not when using RO/DI water...From what i gather, you don't really need it if using a good quality salt. I also am rethinking about using Instant Ocean... i figtured it was one of the best after seeing it everywhere all these years....now i might have a different opinion...

Thanks all

Stevie D

I still don't have a decisive answer to if you need to add anything to stabilize the PH or not when using RO/DI water...

Don't add anything.

When I was mixing my own water I used a mix of IO and Oceanic salt in a 3:2 ratio.

Do not add anything for pH adjustment, its not needed as I pointed out earlier. Even for topoff water it is not needed. IO is still the most used salt today. I prefer Oceanic for a reef myself as it has more calcium but IO is fine for most people. Reef Crystals is a step up from IO.

Archived