ReefCleaners.org

Planning 2.5 AGA

Seament Shoes

Seament Shoes

I have lurking on the threads here for a few weeks and final decided to start up a small nano reef. :) I would like to get some input as far as to what equipment and livestock is best suited for such a small tank. For lighting I would use PC 1 13W 6,500K and 1 13W 03 Actinic.

Thanks in advance for the help.

You'll want to pick up a heater, ebo jager is a good choice, 50 watt. A small powerhead like microjet or aquaglobe for water movement. You could also put an Aquaclear mini HOB for more water movment and to run carbon when needed.

As far as supplies for maintenece go, you'll need a hydrometer to test the salinity of the water and pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate test kits to start with and a thermometer is a good idea to keep an eye on the tank temp. Once the tank is cycled and you begin to add livestock, you may want to pick up a calcium and alk/dkh test kit.

As far as livestock goes, with such a small tank, it's really not advisable to put any fish in there. You could go with a few sexy shrimp as they tend to stay pretty small. And of course you'll want a small clean up crew, a couple nassarius snails, maybe a margarita or astrea and if you are brave, a few hermits.

2.5 tanks are perfect for zoos and mushrooms that tend to stay small. Run a search for Liquids tank. Incredible 2.5 and it will give you some ideas about what else you can keep in yours.

Im in the process of setting up a 2.5 at work.

Heres my list of goodies:

2.5G AGA, AQ mini, Hagen 6" 25W heater (I chose this one because it will fit in the AQ mini), hydrometer, (2) 50/50 GX23 bulbs & a net. I already had the fixture and built a 3" oak canopy.

not including canopy & light fixtures (empty tank): $70 for 2.5G reef.

You might want to skip the 65K bulb and go with 2=50/50. You'll loose the dusk to dawn affect but the 10K has a nicer white.

my 0.02

Seament Shoes

What do ya think of this

Aquaclear mini ( I went this because I can run active carbon and keep the heater in here)

Hagen 25w Heater

2 x 13w PC 50/50 (do I need a fan for these?)

4-5 Lbs EVA live rock

However manypounds for 3" sand bed

Livestock

Clean Up Crew

2 Neritre snails

2 Cerith Snails

1 Red leg hermit

Inverts

Sexy shrimp

Pom Pom Crabs

Corals

All different kinds of Shrooms and Zoos

Fish

I might put in a tiny gobie or two latter on

Originally posted by MattGecko

You might want to skip the 65K bulb and go with 2=50/50. You'll loose the dusk to dawn affect but the 10K has a nicer white.

my 0.02

You can buy a 13W 10000k bulb and keep the dawn/dusk effect.

MSF,

Who sells 13W 10K bulbs? I've been looking all over the place, with no luck.

Seament Shoes,

You will need a lillte fan. A CPU prosser fan is the perfect size with a Coby CA-969 universal power supply. This will give your fan about 6 speeds.

I have completed my 2.5G canopy/base & will post a pic tomorrow.

I really would not put any fish in there

not even one small goby never mind 2

it would be mean in such a small environment

plus it would be a huge bioload on your tank

I wouldn't but any fish in anything smaller then a 5 gallon

and even in a 5 gallon I would only put 1 small goby

Good luck with your nano!

-Matt

Seament Shoes
Damn, so they do exist!! Ow well.

I did not know they made 13w 10ks either.X)

Iphantom, Liqiud has a Chromis in his 2.5 and its doing fine. I would not put the fish in until my tank was at least 4 months old.

What does everybody think about a small Pseudochromis in there, such as a Springerii or a Fridmani. I would add them last to the tank because I know how territorial they can be.

Too big for a 2.5. I think you should have at least a minibow 7 for a pseudochromis. I think an tiny goby like the clown gobies or neon gobies would be great in something that small.

I agree better off without a fish. Isn't a goby going to eat your pod population and other good little micro critters?

After searching, looks like 2 sexy shrimp would be the way to go.

What do you think?

I just received my AQ Mini & 25W heater (thank you UPS). The heater has to be placed in diagonal. I removed the suction cups & glued the heater clip to the inside of the back of the filter (be sure to rough up/sand both surfaces). Using a dremal I cut a small square out of the lid for the heater to poke through.

Isn't a goby going to eat your pod population and other good little micro critters?

I thought that was the point? Isn't that why we strive to establish large pod populations?

Yes but its going to wipe them out without a fuge. For me its more about the reef and critters than the fish.

Without the basket, there is room for a carbon.

613597_2525365225124671485_v.jpg

613596_3663189217171851254_vl.jpg

Seament Shoes

Mattgecko tanks for all the pics and info for setting up the 2.5. This will help alot when I do mine.

I agree better off without a fish. Isn't a goby going to eat your pod population and other good little micro critters?
I would like a tiny fish in there, but do you think a tiny goby will wipe out the pod population? Any other fish I could put in there that would not?

Not really, most fish eat alot of micro fauna/flora. You can turn an aquaclear into a fuge to keep up the pod population. Anyway, I'm less interested in the pods; it's the tiny featherdusters and other worms and corals that I love searching for.

Archived