Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Question on new FO??

hameen40

I just setup my first SW FO tank. I'm cycling it with 3 damsels (the guy at the LFS said I should use 6, I thought that would be too much). I have 2 striped damsels which seem to be spitting the food out all the time. The other damsel (yellow tail) is fine, it eats it all up. I wonder why? are the striped damsels supposed to eat something else? I'm using ocean nutrition formula 1 food flakes.

I would also like some suggestions from you guys on how I should set up the tank, ie what kind of ornaments or aquascaping I should be doing. I don't wish to add any live rock or coral.

Also in the future I wish to add inverts to the tank (starfish and Shrimp) Can these go in the tank w/o any live rock or coral??

I would appreciate any suggestions you guys have for me.

How big of a tank is it? I hope it’s at least 20-gallons. Ask your LFS what kind of food they use and try that for a while. It’s not that unusual for a new fish not to eat right away. They should come around. However, if your tank is high in ammonia and nitrites that will also affect their feeding. You might want to dose some Prime.

p_901187_20912D.jpg

LR requires no maintenance and can be a huge asset to your system. Forget the starfish without LR, but a shrimp might be fine. As far a aquascaping without LR, most LFSs sell artificial corals and other ornaments. Pick what you like, the added surface area of the ornaments will get covered with a bio-film that’s beneficial (LR is better).

I'm using a 30 gallon tank. It's been only a day since I added the fish so I don't think my reading are off. Before adding the fish all the readings were 0 pH was 8.4 and SG was 1.022.

I was thinking of asking the LFS what they fed the fish in that particular tank.

Regarding the LR I am little hestitant because I don't wish to have a QT. With LR in the tank it may be hard trying to treat the fish for diseases. (This is what I read somewhere, I may be wrong). I mean hopefully I won't have to treat them for diseases, but just incase. IF anyone has treated their fish in a tank with LR with no problems please give me some feedback.

Copper meds will kill most inverts, including shrimp, and are not recommended for tanks with LR. However, many of us don’t have a quarantine tank. The best fight against disease is prevention; eliminating stress is one of the keys.

LR serves as a natural filter and provides food and hiding places for your fish; it also provides a home for many beneficial creatures (all which reduces stress). LR is a requirement for inverts like starfish. A FOWLR allows you to create a very interesting tank (including keeping some species that are not reef safe).

However, it is certainly possible to maintain a tank without LR. It’s your choice. Most peeps here use natural filtration, so you’ll find that point of view most prevalent.

Go with Live rock. As expensive as it is, dead and artificial corals actually cost more. For a 30 gallon, you need between 15-45 lbs of LR to aquascape properly. That costs between $90 (if you are lucky)-$210 for 30 lbs. You would probably get about 15 peices of rock, each about 6" long. For dead corals, it would cost about $300 dollars for 15-6" peices. Also, you can buy a "dead" rock, such as tufa, and spend about $1 per pound, and then add in less LR. The tufa will, in time, turn into LR. As for your damsels, keep the yellow tail and get rid of the striped ones; they're evil. I had one in my 20, and it tried to kill the yellowtail I had, it attacked every new fish I added, and would run from one side of the tank to attack another fish. What are you feeding them?

What are you feeding them? [/b]

I'm feeding them ocean nutrition formula 1 food flakes. They are starting to eat the flakes now.

I think you are right about the striped damsels not only are they aggresive towards the yellow tail damsel but also between themselves (Kinda cool to see them chasing eachother all across the tank).

I think I will go with the live rock. Everyone seems to think it's a good idea. Would it be OK to add them in during the cycling process. Tanks been up for 4 days. Would it be OK to add cured LR to the tank. I've seen LR for 9.99 a pound, I know it's expensive but it looks so much better than the cheaper ones they sell around here.

I appreciate your replies

Archived