Cultivated Reef

Urchins

Bunky Squid

Bunky Squid

One of my roommates does biology work in the Lawrence Berkeley Labratory, and they are receiving 200+ "white urchins and purple urchins, the purple ones are a bit larger." Does anyone know what species these might be?

The cool thing is that his boss said that he could take some for my invert tank. What sort of care would they require? I've heard that they're mainly scavengers and algae eaters.

that's a pretty general description so i'm not sure what they are. you may want to post a pic/link. the purple ones may be venomous. and the white for that matter. research the species before you grab one!

If they are from the caribbian and are short spined, they are awesome.... Get a few around 1-2 inches.. they eat algae like crazy... Just beware they munch coraline too, but this can help spread it too. Keep CA high and they will thrive.. they are one of my fave items to sell to my reef keepers. ALSO they are quite nimble, BUT they can tumble rocks, so glue any precarious corals down first.:DOH and they will "decorate" themselves at night, so have some reef rubble and shells in the tank for them.

Archived