Top Shelf Aquatics

converting 10g freshwater, need help!

Jen842

ok, my brother has had a 10g freshwater in his room since forever. (i do the cleaning and stuff)and I want to convert it. I have been reading up on Nano reefs and they seem way more interesting than goldfish and neons.(zzz !) but i am really out of my element. any suggestions for a VERY beginer setup? I'm geting the live rock and sand ect, but like lighting? How much? what kind? Filtration? does natural actualy work? or should i get filers and stuff? powerhead? how big for a 10g tank? or do i even need one? X) so confuzzled. ANY advice would be apreciated.

its not really the best idea to use an old tank that was once set up as a freshwater, 10gallons are like 20 bucks or so anyway

and lighting/filtration all depend on what you want to put in the tank

example: fish only tank you just need light to see the fish thats it so your existing lighting will work for fish only

BUT you step up to most corals and you need a decent light

I have the corallife 96W 50/50 combo from hellolights.com its a good deal and actually a pretty good lighting setup for a 10 gallon, it fits right ontop and gives a solid amount of light.

Natural filteration (rock)

Yes, natural filteration works

Powerhead - at least two of them...should try to get one with adjustable flow so you can change it...like a minijet 606. If your going to be making the salt water yourself, then get yourself a 3rd powerhead, preferably a more powerful one.

Lighting - depends what you want to keep and what your budget is.

If your NOT going to be keeping corals, then you can use a normal NO fluorescent light strip. If you plan on keeping corals then either a 1x36 or 2x36 Power Compact lights is fine for most corals except higher light things such as SPS and clams.

Do ALLOT of reading.

Don't buy anything until you understand exactly what your doing and what can and will happen with the aquarium ;)

i see from your profile you're 15, and thus i'm assuming probably on a budget. if not, please tell your parents i want part of the trust fund.

anyway, i'd recommend fish only with live rock. ~15# of good rock will do fine. Don't bother with live sand - the rock will make it "live" in time.

i'm assuming you currently have a hang-on-back type filter for the fw tank. with A LOT of REALLY GOOD cleaning, you can use this, in addition to one powerhead as your water movement. No need to keep any filter media in the tank, just use it for water movement & in case you do one day decide you need to run carbon, etc. for whatever reason.

Sort of on a budget. The funding for the tank comes from Good ol Mom and Dad. But Moms wants to get a saltwater tank more than i do, so chances are she'll get a good set up.

I am going to start out with just fish, but i want to add some corals and such l8r, when the tank is more established, and i kno more about how the tank works.

Do you kno any good websites that ship to canada? Bin going NUTZ trying to find one, and the fish stores around here leave much to be desired.

Archived