Coral Vue Hydros

Do all Xenia pulse?

AStarWithin

Hi, I was wondering if all species of Xenia pulsed. I've had mine for a week and half now and it hasn't pulsed. It looks healthy, the polyps are open and extended and its happily swaying back and forth. But I was under the impression the polyps would 'pulse'...

My tank specs are:

10g

96w powerquad 50/50 light

Rio 90 and 180

Tetra pf without filter media

some pulse like crazy in captivity but some never do....kinda strange. No one really knows what the purpose of the 'pulsing ' is either. Incidentally, some types of anthelia will pulse as well. I wouldnt worry about it though. As long as the coral looks healthy otherwise.

my xenia stopped pulsing, and is mostly inflated lately. alk is thru the roof and this is my only explanation.

I always assumed the pulsing was a means of attaining food.

my anthelia pulses like mad.

i hate my xenias... they pulse like crazy and they spread like weeds.i've read that they pulse because it is a form of air and gas exchange for them and,because of high alk and good PH.

I have avoided the xenia because I didn't want to trip it down and have it take over my 10g. I saw a small frag at AW that was pulsing like crazy. I wanted to buy it, but resisted. Hmmm

Archived