ReefCleaners.org

Actinics v output

bleu8

Hi all

I already own a JBJ formosa 36wx2 and I am planning an 11gallon Tall nano. My question is how important is the true actinic v 10000k colour temperature to corals?

One CF tube is 10000K while the other is an actinic 36w. With 10000K being very blue could I not drop the actinic replacing it with another 10000K in order to have more light intensity?

My Via Aqua Kit will come with a small PC 18wx2 that I could try and use in conjunction with the JBJ space provided.

Bleu

bump

Originally posted by bleu8

My question is how important is the true actinic v 10000k colour temperature to corals?

With 10000K being very blue could I not drop the actinic replacing it with another 10000K in order to have more light intensity?

true actinic provides more PUR (photosynthetically usable radiation) for certain types of symbiont algae found in deeper waters. 10000K's provide more PAR ( x available x ) for a wider range of symbiont algae. actinics also allow/promote(?) fluorescing whereas less of that is evident with 10000K-only.

that said, unless you plan on having a significant amount of deeper corals or don't want a lot of fluorescing, i guess you can do without. i always have actinics (33% or more of the light). pers pref on lighting/shading.

Archived