inTank Media Baskets

a bunch of silly questions...

nanonewbies

1.) How long can I store premixed salt water (used for making regular weekly water changes) from my LFS in 7 gallon buckets? Can I only keep it a week or won't it get stagnate?

2.) My yellow goby has small white spots all over that were not there before, I am realizing that this is probably Marine White Spot - but I don't understand how that can be I have been testing my tank everyday and here are my standard results:

79 degrees

7.8 pH

Nitrate level = 5.0

Nitrite level = 0.1

Ammonia = 0

Alk level = High

(on my test kit there is no warning for High Alk levels - only low levels....)

3.) Is it normal for my goby to be hosting in first my colt coral one night and then in my leather coral the next night and so on and so forth...

Any advise on any of these questions would be much appreciated!

:):blush::unsure:

matt the fiddler

i had an overnight ich bloom last week ...with in 5 hours of discovery. 3 tetras dead... [freshwater] other fish are still recovering slowly.... got a Lot of split fins. probably my 10th ich outbreak- and my only fatalities due to it...

ich is.. icky. a parasite that can leave fish dead quickly if untreated. they look like a leaper covered in white spots... very very common

get a commercial ich treatment. for saltwater treat [in an isolated environment] if you have other things in the tank that you don't want ..

and get a cleaner shrimp- correct em if i am wrong, but the skunks eat ich like popcorn, right?

in freshwater a temp drop can cause the outbreak.. i highly doubt that was the trigger if you have reef conditions...

move fast. save you goby... even go tongiht to walmart, meijer... or where ever..

pH seems low if it is an established tank, but many pH tests aren't that accurate. How old is the tank?

Test all you want, you won't find a color swatch for Ich. Fish may have had it before you got it, it could have been on something else, or the fish is stressed because of tank conditions. Ich is a parasite, opportunistic...

Did that doubletake myself adin. Soon they will include sand, liverock, and a clownfish in the bag too. Like a happy-meal for reefers.

Hi nanonewbies, I can tell you what not to do with regard to marine ich - do not add a medication containing copper. The same copper constituents that kill the ich organism, will also potentially kill the invertebrates in your tank that you do want to keep.

As for low pH, here is a link

I'm thinking (hoping) that the goby had Ich before I put it in my tank, my boyfriend got it at Petsmart (ugh), we found it dead last night. My ocs. clown seems to be doing well, I have not added any medication, just thought I would turn the lights out for a few days to help the goby feel less stressed - and just stayed out of the tank, didn't feed, or add supplements, change the water or anything, just left it alone - still to no avail, died anyway.

I think my pH level is fine - I have heard that a level anywhere from 7.8 to 8.2 is good...if this isn't right - someone please correct me.

Its hard to explain how established my tank is - I'm not quite sure myself, it's a long and embarrassing story - but if anyone wants to hear it let me know... :-)

ok here goes:

about 2 weeks ago - my boyfriend called me and said that he had bought a saltwater tank. I was sceptical. When I got home I found that he had actually boughten a FULL tank, a "jumpstarted" tank from our LFS, with LS, LR, corals, Fish, clean up crew, shrimp included. How convenient huh? I was very sceptical after that - but it only took me a day to fall in love with it! But I knew he had gone about it all wrong and it had been an impulse buy...some impulse! We had been talking about getting a tank for some time - just had never gotten around to doing it, well he went to the LFS with a friend one day and the LFS had this 12 g. JBJ nano cube on DISPLAY and it was for sale because they were trying to get rid of it - the WHOLE thing! and so he took it - saltwater and all! and brought it home in buckets!

The worst thing is that neither of us knew anything about keeping a saltwater tank, we didn't know ANYTHING about lights/RO water/testing/water changes/what kinds of fish were in the tank or anything! We have read hard and fast for two weeks now - or well at least I have - and then I tell him what he needs to go get/do. Our first mistake was adding our ocs. clown 2 days after getting this tank! (This was my fault since I insisted! Hey! I didn't know!?) We didn't realize that the other fish were probably still stressed from the move! Or well I also found out that my Nitrite level was too high and that could have been the problem too although I would have thought the Clown would be gone too then. So eventually our CBS, our blenny, and our royal gramma all bit the dust, our ocs hung in there though. Mistake #2: about a week ago - my boyfriend went to Petsmart and bought a Yellow goby, I'm not sure why he did this - but he did and it died last night. So in 2 weeks exactly we have had 4 things die in our tank! so we have now officially agreed to not add anything else to the tank for at least a month or two if we need to add anything at all! So we now have all the testing kits, the right lighting, the current flowing, the right temp, etc.... I guess my pH is a little low...I will have to fix that! But it seems to be ok now, we have our lights/fan on a timer and the fan helps keep a steady temp when the lights are on, it has been the fastest crash course I have ever had to take in my life...Our corals are doing amazing and it is just fun to watch the new changes everyday....I still can't believe that he bought it from the LFS the way it sat! It had very developed LR in it and some that wasn't developed at all...some new corals that we didn't even know were in the tank until a few days ago and corals that were on the developed LR have doubled in size (mushrooms and Xenia)!

It's just embarrassing because I have been on the forums now for two weeks, and I hear everyone talk about how they have let their tank cycle and just know that is the right way to do things to help ensure that there are no problems...(well I know anyone can have problems)...but it is better to know exactly what has been in your tank....and the only way to know that is to start from scratch! That is how we will do it next time - which there will be another bigger tank in our future I am sure - just not yet - not till we are comfortable! We have no idea what this tank has been through or what has been in it or if it was taken care of - we don't know where the rocks came from....

All I know is I am absolutely in love with this hobby, it has been so fascinating to me - watching this little mini world change and take shape! My boyfriend is getting a digital camera from sister for Christmas - I will be able to post pics of our tank once we learn how to use it! And you can see how this little tank is doing -and how we are doing in caring for it!

So I just want to say thanks to anyone who has read my other posts and given me advice over the past two weeks, it is really appreciated! Keep it coming! This forum has been very helpful, I have learned so much and plan to learn a lot more! I will not let my clown die!!! LOL I hope you enjoyed my story...sorry it was so long!

great story...with an apparently happy ending...

You realized the errors, and are taking steps to correct them. It's good to see...

now, keep asking questions if you get stuck...and

KEEP YOUR BOYFRIEND OUTTA THE LFS ! ! ! ...:P

LOL

..at least until you feel confident in your progression... :)

Archived