ReefCleaners.org

how often should i feed peppermint shrimp and cleaner shrimp

Marine Man Tom

Marine Man Tom

Hi people 2day i purchased 1 peppermint and 1 cleaner shrimp obviously i havent fed them 2day coz they are eating some algae but does the peppermint shrimp eat algae and how often do i feed them both, i have frozen mysis shrimp cubes so how often do i feed them and what do i feed the turbos and emerald crab?

Both of the shrimp you mentioned are carnivorous. So I doubt you'll see them eating algae (possibly some small organisms being picked out of the algae?).

You can feed them frozen mysis with a turkey baster (they'll quickly recognize the baster and it's fun to watch them come after it). I would feed once or twice per week a few pieces.

The turbo snails and emerald crabs are herbivorous (emerald could be considered somewhat omnivorous) so as long as you have a decent amount of algae they'll be fine. I myself avoided giving the emerald food as once it becomes accustomed to being fed there is a chance it'll stop consuming as much algae.

Marine Man Tom

but i thought cleaner shrimp you know cleaned the rocks?? and ok ye mysis i have ALOT of algae coralinne, algae, diatoms XP but if i run out of algae can i drop some algae flakes in the or on a clip?

After my peppermint shrimp polished off all the aptasia in my tank...I started feeding it frozen mysis every other day, sometimes every two days. Seems to do the trick so far.

"cleaner" refers to their natural tendency to pick off parasites & such off of fish. They won't eat algae.

Different animals eat different kinds of algae. I've never seen an emerald crab or a turbo snail eat corraline.

IMO cleaner shrimp really aren't necessary unless you have fish. You can feed your peppermint shrimp once a week and he'll be fine. I know it's hard, but don't get anxious and overfeed your livestock. This can cause damage to your parameters down the line, namely high nitrate levels which can lead to algae outbreaks, etc., etc.

Marine Man Tom

ok with the frozen mysis i have them in cubes, i cut the corner off of one then dropped it in defrosted and it broke into pieces everywhere so the shrimp didnt get anything!! how do i feed them!!??

Do you even read the responses before opening another thread? If you scroll up a few posts someone already told you to use a turkey baster to get the food down to them.

cheryl jordan
whats a turkey baster?

Actually I do not think Marine man Tom, is even posting anymore. Have not seen him or his roommate in a couple of days.

TheUnfocusedOne
but i thought cleaner shrimp you know cleaned the rocks?? and ok ye mysis i have ALOT of algae coralinne, algae, diatoms XP but if i run out of algae can i drop some algae flakes in the or on a clip?

Way to do your research before buying something... Niether of these shrimp will touch algae, they both need to be fed animal matter. Mysis work the best generally. Please don't buy things when you have absolutly no idea how to care for them.

IMO cleaner shrimp really aren't necessary unless you have fish.

Cleaner shrimps are one of the more interesting invertabrates imo. I wouldn't buy animals just on necessity anywho.

Jesus christ.

:lol:

Archived