ReefCleaners.org

Vodka Dosing - Finally hit Zero Nitrates

Reggie

After four months of dosing vodka, I finally reached zero (0!) nitrates yesterday. Here's the proof:

20091226-p9x9si95jxwhq4g3sqesma6n8a.jpg

The LaMotte Nitrate test kit's Octa-Slide can measure only about 1.1 ppm (0.25 * 4.4) but the color of the water had no hint of pink that is why I'm thinking that it's almost about zero.

I have been keeping track of my tests on a Google spreadsheet. Here's my actual 4 months journey.

20091227-nj4rcjbuu6up7ch8u8piksbm6y.jpg

Notes:

• My 30g tank is all SPS, except for three acans
  • From the start, I have been dosing vodka and MB7
  • I thought of automating the dose using cheap peristaltic pumps. When they failed and were not dosing the correct amount of vodka, my nitrates spiked back up (see October on graph).
  • If something dies in your tank, stir up sand, overfeed, or clean your sump, your nitrates can shoot back up. I cleaned my sump (see Dec 15 data) and my nitrates shot back up.
  • When nitrates start going up instead of going down, don't give up. I just add 0.5ml of vodka to my current dose.
  • After reading some negative experiences with Brightwell products (here's the latest), I've lost confidence with Brightwell products. I've decided to stop MB7 and try out Microbe-Lift's Special Blend. When I started using it (see Dec 15), my nitrates started falling at a steep decline. I'm sticking with Special Blend for the mean time.
  • I have automated my dosing using BRS dosers. I'm dosing vodka and Special Blend from two different pumps, controlled by an Apex controller. So far so good.
  • I dose amino acid (looking to change Brightwell CoralAmino to Elos) as supplement for my SPS. I also dose Lugol's and iron for color enhancement.

This is interesting, I have considered Vodka dosing for some time. What brand of Vodka do you use?

You dosed weekly? How many ml per gallon?

I use a cheap triple distilled vodka. You can use any cheap vodka actually, as long as it's not flavored. I dose vodka daily and I'm up to 2.5ml/day on my 30g.

You can read more about vodka dosing here: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php

• 2 weeks later...

Im heading into week 7 (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1740809), and have gotten down to around 20-25 ppm trates from 100+. I have done some big water changes though, as well as change out all my sand bed.

Hopefully in another month or two (like you) i will get down to 0-5 nitrates. Could you elaborate on your automated dosing setup?

I have a 150 gallon prop setup that i am currently running some BRS reactors for GFO and a sulfur denitrator on to keep things in check, but i would much rather move into a bacterial system since there is no LR or sand in the system. I would need to automate the vodka, and if possible the MB7 additions to make that work though because i go a few days without going to see the tank.

EDIT: I should add i am up too 3 ml/day for a 50 cube.

I use BRS dosing pumps controlled by an Apex controller. I dose about 2.2ml of vodka and about 3ml of Microbe-lift Special Blend. My tank is a 30g with LR an 8g sump.

I suggest you test every 3 days and see if your Nitrates are going down. If not, dose an additional 0.5ml on your daily dose.

I don't understand why anyone would want to dose vodka in a tropical reef tank, a cheap white rum would do the exact same thing but would make so much more sense.

I don't understand why anyone would want to dose vodka in a tropical reef tank, a cheap white rum would do the exact same thing but would make so much more sense.

:P Cute, of course why didnt i think of that?

Archived