Cultivated Reef

7 Gal Bow Front, Need More Actinic!!! Help

alfieferenzo8469

alfieferenzo8469

Hey everyone, Well if you dont know yet i have a 7 gal bow front with a 32w smartlife pc light on it!

However i have been noticing that my corals dont stand out very much! So i put my 75 gal strip light next to it and omg!!! If was a mazing! The color came out really great! On my 75 gal strip there are 4 bulbs 4ft! 3 actinics, 1 50/50 bulb!

Now to the point i want to somehow add more actinic to my nano reef tank! I dont know how i could do it because there is like no room for anything! I was think if there was a way to maybe get rid of the pc light and go all no bulb with only 2-4 no bulbs, That it would look alot nicer! Like my 75 gal that i got rid of!!!

Well you all know best on this so let me know what your ideas and thoughts are on how to get more actinic on my 7 gal! Also to let you know i am very good with my hands and could build something or whatever needs to be done so go ahead and chalange me to something! I need ideas please...... Thanks, Al

• 2 weeks later...

hi I just set up a 7 gal aga mini bow with a 50 watt thermal compact heater and a 65 gph power head what type of lighting should I put on I was thinking about Sea life 32x2 retrofit kit and that would give 90 watts per gallon whgat do you think

Thanks.

You have a couple of options. You can A) get a 2x32 retrofit or complete hood and make that work over the tank (I have the hood and a minibow. I'll take some dimensions and let you know), B) suspend a 70W HQI and a 32W Actinic supplement, C) Add a NO Actinic over the tank by suspending both bulbs over the tank, or D) Buy one of Matt Gecko's MiniBow hoods and go with either A or B.

I think I will go with the retrofit, but should I go with Sea life 32x 2 or csl smart lite 32x2 I would like to get some green star poyps some cool zooanthids and some type of anemones. 9 watts per gallion should do it I think, What do you think.

The CSL 1 x 32 fits fine into the stock hood. The 2 x 32 retrofit will not fit. You will have to make the custom hood. The 2 x 32 ABS canopy fits in terms of width, but it is too deep to fit exactly. People who have a HOB filter say there is not enough room.

Ed

Archived