Top Shelf Aquatics

Preliminary Fish Research

emarti20

Let me just start off with saying, what a great resource!

I'm in the very early stages of planning out my 10G (Only have the tank so far). I probably won't even be filling the thing for another month at least. I'll be donig a 1.5-2" sand bed, with LR of course.

I'm thinking of going with 2 fish. Either a pair of False Percs, or a False Perc and a Firefish. I was wondering if any one has any arguments one way or the other for those combinations. It appears that if were to go with the Percs I would want to introduce them together, what about Perc & Firefish.

Also, any preferences on the type of firefish (Red, purple, others??)

Thanks again for a great site.

I think you will be happier in the long run with getting a pair of clowns. I don't think any other fish is best suited for nanos than the clown. They are pretty comedic and fun to watch. You may also plan for an anemone later on down the road which will also add to the reefing experience. The most beutifull thing for me when it comes to having a reef tank is clowns hosting in an anemone. I don't think anything comes close to that.

I myself am not an avid fan of firefish. Had some jump on me and become crispy critters. So, I stick with clowns and sand dwelling fish. Easy on the eyes, wallet and makes for a great tank.

Welcome and have fun.

Yeah, I've read some stories about jumping Firefish. If I go that route, I may have to eggcrate the tank (May have to anyway to keep the cats out).

Originally posted by emarti20

Yeah, I've read some stories about jumping Firefish.  If I go that route, I may have to eggcrate the tank (May have to anyway to keep the cats out).

Clowns jump to X)

Archived