ReefCleaners.org

cycling quarantine tank?

gsr355

i'm a newbie and it seems like my chromis has ick. i'm going to start quarantining all the fish i buy from now on. i'm going to set up a quarantine, how do i cycle the tank? I've read that i can use some water from my main tank and mix it with some newly mixed water, but if my tank has ick, i probably shouldn't put any of the water into the quarantine tank. How do I start the cycle? Also, for the quarantine tank, all i'm going to have is a heater, some pvc piping for fish to hide in, an old HOB filter to provide water circulation, right? Is there anything else I need? Thanks.

You pretty much have a Q-tank down. There is no need for sand, rock or anything. Just a heater, HOB, maybe a power head and something for the fish to hide in, on or around.

I would make up some fresh water and mix in your salt and use that for your tank. Contrary to popular beleif, ick is not present in healthy systems. Its not in the rocks, in the sand or anywhere else. It comes from the fish. Fish get distressed and open themselves up to infection and parasites that in healthy situations, would not harm them.

I have found dosing Melafix, usually takes care of ich in a matter of days. It also boosts the fishes immune system and gives them a bit more fighting power.

Then again, my name is not Dr. Ron. I am only a hobbyist. YMMV

Good luck.

Archived