ReefCleaners.org

my perc hit the rock too hard...

viejito55

he is still alive, 2 mornings ago one of my percs was swimimng and hit the rock so hard that got knock down to the sand. this happened after I transfer the tank from one town to another. poor little guy, he is been seating and swimming sideways for 2 days now, he doesn't eat, he can bearly move, I thought he was going to die overnight, but he is not giving up, what should I do? I don't want him to suffer. he looked a bit better today, but still swimming sideways and not eating. its been 2 days now. any suggestions?

I never seen anything like it. I'll see how he is doing today and hope he can recover, he had ick before and fought it in like 2 days, he is a strong little one. I guess he doesn't want to die he must be in alot of pain though, the way he swins sideways. I don't understand why he hit that rock so hard. anyways. I hope the best. he is been in that tank since August.

unbelieveable he is swimming straight now, but still no apettite. man I can't believe this. he was almost dead 3 days ago. how long can a fish go without eating?

this sometimes happens to large cichlids - they freak out for whatever reason and run into something (glass) too hard. your description of the fish's behavior sounds like he busted his spine and IME, they don't last too long after that.

were the tank lights off when you did this transfer?

...but if he's "normal" now then i guess it's all gravy.

it takes awhile to starve a fish.

yes lights were off but there was some room light, the fish started to swim everywhere crazily and then BOOOM.

next thing you know he was down by the sand sideways. it was like that for almost 2 days, now he is swimming straight but only in one small area.

so you think he broke his spine? then recovered somehow? how weird. if he starts eating you think he'll make it? I'll hope he does.

OK Ill try some garlic stuff to boost his appetite.

has this happened to anybody else?

Archived