Cultivated Reef

96 quad photoperiod questions . .

darwin604

I recently upgraded my CL 28w (yah I know, I'm ashamed of it too ;) to the 96w quad model. However, since I swapped it over I've had a few major algae blooms, plus my finger leather and shrooms don't seem to be expanding quite as much during the day.

Anyways, enough of the noobie banter since this is a lighting question. Just wondering what the recommended photoperiod is for my setup? - 96w PC on a 20" 10 gal. I've done some searching but everyones setup is different and thus have different light schedules. I was going 12 hours with the old fixture but I think 12 hours with the new may be a bit much. Until I get a fuge set up I'm gonna have to be a bit chintzy on the lighting I think to keep everything under control.

d.

In the beginning you may want to only turn it on for 6-8 hours per day until the corals adapt. Then you can add an hour a week until you end up somewhere comfortable in the 10-12 hour a day zone...maybe as low as 9 hours, but thats pushing it.

Hellolights.com has 'em. Here's the link:

http://www.hellolights.com/96w5050.html

I'm not sure if these are "coralife" made bulbs or if they differ from the ones that come in the fixture. They'll work but I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with the quality of the replacement bulbs for 96 quads. Is there any brand better than the other??

d.

Well, its not really a hood but a light fixture. Although on my 10 gal nano it pretty much is a hood :D . I got the plastic legs that come with it to suspend it over my tank. I love the fixture. I had 2 other lower wattage setups before this one and FOR THE PRICE its IMO the best lighting you can get for a tank the size of mine. Colors look great its very bright. If your not much of a DIY guy then its defnitely a good buy.

d.

I run my quad 96W about 9 hours a day. I have some SPS in there, they are fine. Well, as good as they are going to get under PC that is.

I had algae issues too, with that much light I think it is unavoidable unless you really kick up the cleaning crew early.

Archived