Top Shelf Aquatics

Frag Tank

sdboogie

I've got this 5 gallon tank that I want to start attaching frags to rocks with. The xenia in my 10 gallon is way out of control and I also have some green sinularia that has yet to attach. So I got some light, water movement and what else. Do I need filtration or are frequent water changes enough. Do I need sand and rock or could I go without. The tank is going to be for frags that need healing before traded. Examples of frag tank setups would be great.

matt the fiddler

is this tank going to be connected to the water supply of you main tank [growing fuge]?- or completly stand alone... [if that coral is growing well.. the water should be good in the main tank- and why change it if it isn't broke?]

i mean.. more lr and ls, and a coral safe cleaning crew.. won't hurt anything. might even help get the conditions even better for your healing coral

so, if i were you... i would connect the tanks.. [mabye put the growing tank below.. ] find a way to add lr slowly in the new fuge so not to mini cycle.. and then- walla...

It's going to be a standalone tank. Just for attaching frags. The mother colony will stay in the show tank. There isn't enough room for the new frags in the show tank. Plus, I can control the flow better in the frag tank. As for connecting them, I don't have the setup room. The show tank is currently in the fireplace and theres no efficient way to connect the tanks without building (maybe someday). So, I'm trying to do a standalone to provide a place for the cuttings to attach to rock.

Sounds like I'll probably need some sand, a little rock and then let that cycle first. The bioload on a frag only tank shouldn't be that high, right? Maybe I could trade for a few pounds of lr and sand locally. That would shorten the cycle considerably.

Coral propagation in my show tank is a disaster due to all of the low flow areas are being used by mushrooms and candycane. I'm just tired of frags blowin off the rocks and around my tank.

go without sand and rock imo. or at least section it off to a side, e.g. in 20L reserve 20% with a tank divider for rock and sand like an internal refugium. reasons being: if you need higher flow you don't want to worry about the sand. the added reflection from the bare bottom adds to available light for the frags. you should have close to zero bioload as the frags (once they stop bleeding) usually are nutrient processors (from their symbionts).

i'd use cerith or nass snails for cleanup. they won't trouble fragile frags too much and will eat everything and get all the nooks and crannies. you could add some vulgaris shrimp but you'd probably have to feed them (defeats the purpose imo).

20L, 30 breeder, 30L, or 40 breeder. big area, low height, and easy access. rubbermaid (or similar) shallow tubs are also another option. altho the deformation along rim may be an issue, look for a strong continuously rolled rim (e.g. no interruptions for a lid).

definitely have a hob and i'd suggest a skimmer. frags bleed or mucus a lot. you'll need something to handle that extra crappie. avoid macros imo and watch ca/alk (regardless of softie or stony).

Archived