Pod Your Reef

Bicocube 1 (10000k) & 1 (50/50)

jeirdo

Ok, so I was wondering if I would receive any addition lighting benefit from switching out the actinic light in my stock Biocube 29 hood with a 50/50 bulb? I would definitely get less "glow" from the actinic spectrum, but I thought perhaps if I ran my moonlight LEDS along with the daylights I might not notice that much of a difference. Would the addition of the extra white light be better for my LPS? Any thoughts. Thanks.

If you want a more white/yellow coloring, then go for it. I, personally, like a little more blue than white/yellow. The stock LEDs aren't bright enough to do what you are proposing though.

IMO...if you're going to stick with stock BC lighting, keep one strip 10k and the other actinic. Most LPS will do fine with that. While lighting is important, target feeding is equally or more important for LPS. My frogspawn, acans, and duncans have all grown well under stock BC lighting. But, they grew much quicker once I started target feeding them several months ago.

If you want a more white/yellow coloring, then go for it. I, personally, like a little more blue than white/yellow. The stock LEDs aren't bright enough to do what you are proposing though.

IMO...if you're going to stick with stock BC lighting, keep one strip 10k and the other actinic. Most LPS will do fine with that. While lighting is important, target feeding is equally or more important for LPS. My frogspawn, acans, and duncans have all grown well under stock BC lighting. But, they grew much quicker once I started target feeding them several months ago.

Thanks "mkregs". Any more thoughts?

I agree, with mkregs. If you are keeping lps, zoas and softies, stick with the stock bulbs, the actinic adds a nice contrast to the yellow 10,000k bulb. If you are considering a jump to sps, ditch the hood altogether for LEDs or Halide.

Another thing to consider is the age of your bulbs. If they are starting to yellow out, change them. I changed the lights in my Aquapod after eight months and it made a huge difference. I would recomend a change at 6 to 7 months.

Archived