ReefCleaners.org

Skilter 250 Modifications

newnano

My Skilter 250 that I have on my cycling 15g high tank is fairly noisy when I'm running the skimmer, but I think that's typical. I've seen a couple of links where people have modified the Skilter to quite it down using wooden air stones covered with 35mm film containers, etc. None of these links give any details or steps in how to make the modifications. Before I start drilling holes or whatever, I wanted to know if anyone here would be willing to help me by providing some detailed information.

Thanks in advance.

The mod fundamentally involves drilling a small hole wide enough to accomodate a length of air-line tubing. Drill the hole directly above the skimmer column in the cover plate/collection chamber. The hard work is now done.

You will need an air pump and tubing. Run a length of tubing from the air pump down into the skimmer column. Then attach a wooden airstone (probably want to install a check valve in the line as well). I understand the use of the film container to house the airstone - but it isn't necessary. I didn't use it. Should you choose to however, basically all you need to do is silicone a 35 mm film container to the bottom of skimmer column. I am guessing that this is supposed to elminate the escape of some micro-bubbles - but I really don't know.

Lastly, before starting your quieter, and more efficient skilter - remove the venturi valve from the pump.

For sake of ease, I strongly recommend either getting an adjustable flow air pump, or install an air valve in the line that will allow you to regulate the flow of air to the skimmer (in the event that there is too much flow and you start filling your collection cup with foamy brine.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Archived