Pod Your Reef

Banggai Cardinal Breeding Pics and Video!

acropora1981

Absolutely - it will probably be 4-6 months before I have any available, and thats IF this pair decides to produce. I'll keep this thread updated with progress from this pair, and let you know :)

Great. Can't wait.

Dude.... where you live in Ontario??? I would totally buy some off of you!! When they are of age of course.

By the way... can you do me a favour and take a look at the under side of your breeding pair for me carefully and let me know which one, has the single thorn, and which one has the double thorn slightly protruding.. I am trying to determine if the one I currently have is male or female.

Dude.... where you live in Ontario??? I would totally buy some off of you!! When they are of age of course.

By the way... can you do me a favour and take a look at the under side of your breeding pair for me carefully and let me know which one, has the single thorn, and which one has the double thorn slightly protruding.. I am trying to determine if the one I currently have is male or female.

Here you go nebthet! Take a look at this link, it's what I used when I was sexing my pair of Banggaii:

http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2064

It shows both diagrams as well as pics of the vents, or thorns as you called them. HTH!!

Thanks basser1... I did see that article, but there is a slight discrepency between the example image shown and two other peoples fish, that is why I was looking to confirm. Mine has 1 vent that I can see.. hard to see because it is black.

Thanks basser1... I did see that article, but there is a slight discrepency between the example image shown and two other peoples fish, that is why I was looking to confirm. Mine has 1 vent that I can see.. hard to see because it is black.

Yeah I think there was some discrepancy, but I used the photos instead and they were correct.

LOL... I wasn't looking for pics of the vents.. so no catching required. Just was looking for an answer to confirm.. just takes careful observation.

LOL... I wasn't looking for pics of the vents.. so no catching required. Just was looking for an answer to confirm.. just takes careful observation.

ohhh ok :) I will try to look, but I've never actually sexed mine. Just buy three, wait for a pair, and remove the odd man out back to LFS (make sure its ok to do this prior to purchase and you won't have any problems) or to a friend.

Yeah that is how most people have done it. The closest LFS to me with healthy fish is over 2 hours away, so it makes it a little more difficult with just buying 3 and waiting for 2 to pair up. Makes it diffult tot take one back if I need to.

Very cool. The urchin was very clever.

Thanks... I can't remember whether I came up with that or whether I read it somewhere... I think its fairly likely that I read it somewhere.

They are mouthbrooders, which is relatively rare for marine fish.

what he said (mouth brooders produce small numbers of large robust young, easy to rear using brine shrimp - no rotifer cultures nessessary).

Plus I think they're absolutely gorgeous fish.

Yeah, they're the "guppies" of the saltwater world! Well, maybe not that easy.

Pretty easy though. All it takes is proficiency at brine shrimp hatching and a little persistence.

• 2 weeks later...
acropora1981
I know that this is a older post, but that is awesome. Did you sell them or keep them all?

I raised several cohorts (over 100 banggaii's) and sold them all...

Archived