Pod Your Reef

Is this normal

hameen40

I"m starting to setup my first 30g. I prepared the saltwater mixture (specific gravity 1.024). After I added 30lbs of agronite to the water the water became murky and sediments starting floating up and sticking to the side. I scooped out as much of the dirty stuff as I could. Is this normal or should I have cleaned the agronite first?

Thanks for your replies guys. I plan on using the agronite sand and today I will add 15lbs of live sand. I'm hoping this would seed the agronite.

Few more questions, the bag of live sand has water in there. Should I add the sand in with this water or should I drain out that water first?

Secondly, I bought a coral life 6 deep hydrometer. On the instructions it says to let it fill up then bring it out and place it on a flat surface to take the reading. However, if I take it out and read it the reading is different from reading the hydrometer submerged in water. The reading is always 0.001 more when submerged. Any ideas which reading is more accurate.

add it water and all...

i never could get a consistent, accurate reading with those swing-arm things....bought a refractometer ($40) one o the best investments i've made....

i don't think .001 will be catastrophic to your tank, your SG fluctuates more than that from evaporation....

Archived