Top Shelf Aquatics

Help I think My Devils Hand is Dying

MB3

I bought it a couple of weeks ago, he had just finished shedding and was actually opening up more than he had since I placed him in the tank.

This morning I notice he is still bunched up tight and bleaching around the outside.

The only thing I can think of that I did was last night I was out RO/DI water and used some Arrowhead Mountain Spring Water to top off the tank. I'm worried there could have been minerals in there of some kind, but everything else in the tank is ok.

My temp is 81, 0 amonia, 0 nitrite, nitrate is 10. Salinity is stable at 1.022.

Can I do anything to save him?! :|

bump

run some Poly-Filters and carbon to start extracting out anything that 'may' be in there ####ing the hand off. i'd also do a wc (when in doubt, wc out).

try to look over the lobo to see if there's anything actually irritating it (physically).

if it starts to shed again, you can help it by blowing the 'skin' off with a baster. try to suck out the skin too. i suspect the shedding is sometimes not only a physical reaction to a physical irritant but may also be a chemical reaction to a chemical irritant, i.e. outer skin absorbs most of the crap and is then 'let go'. (disclaimer: i've gots no proof whatsoever on that statement, just observations and speculation on my part. take it or leave it)

how's the flow on it?

Thanks for the reply.

I put a carbon filter in, and did a 2 gallon water change, this time with RO/DI water.

I examined the coral and it stalk and it seems to be clear of anything that might come into contact.

When it started shedding the first time, I had adjusted a powerhead to not blow directly on it, but enough in its vicinity so it was getting enough current to pull the stringers off so the flow is pretty good. I did another water test this morning, and everythnig is the same as my above post.

I'm kicking myself for using spring water (arrowhead) and really feel that was the cause. The coral was looking great, I topped it off before I went to bed, and the next morning the change was apparent and dramatic. That morning and now, the edges of the coral are bleached white, the center still has color.

Can a coral recover once bleaching starts?

Thanks.

Originally posted by tinyreef

bump

run some Poly-Filters and carbon to start extracting out anything that 'may' be in there ####ing the hand off.  i'd also do a wc (when in doubt, wc out).

try to look over the lobo to see if there's anything actually irritating it (physically).  

if it starts to shed again, you can help it by blowing the 'skin' off with a baster.  try to suck out the skin too.  i suspect the shedding is sometimes not only a physical reaction to a physical irritant but may also be a chemical reaction to a chemical irritant, i.e. outer skin absorbs most of the crap and is then 'let go'.  (disclaimer: i've gots no proof whatsoever on that statement, just observations and speculation on my part.  take it or leave it)

how's the flow on it?

Can a coral recover once bleaching starts?
definitely.

it's when rotting and decay starts that it really becomes difficult. you usually end up having to do surgery on the sucker. :x

i'd just keep doing what you're doing (regular wc's and chemical filtration). the coral should recover from whatever it is as long as the system's stable and optimal. i.e. i'd hold off additions, changes, and such. good luck!

Just an Update.

The coral is still bleached around the outside, but some of his little tubular polpys are coming back out.

Still doesn't look good, but better than a couple of days ago.

Originally posted by MB3

...I topped it off before I went to bed, and the next morning the change was apparent and dramatic.  

just occurred to me, how much do you top-off at a time? if it's more than 1% i would think about getting an auto top-off. (get one anyways imo) salinity changes can create stress for any animal, altho i don't think it's the cause of the coral's woes in this particular case.

Less than 1%, I usually top off in the morning and evening. However, I think an auto top-off would save me time and ensure stability for days I was not there.

I'll do some research on that. Are there any brands you'd reccomend or avoid?

Originally posted by tinyreef

just occurred to me, how much do you top-off at a time?  if it's more than 1% i would think about getting an auto top-off.  (get one anyways imo)  salinity changes can create stress for any animal, altho i don't think it's the cause of the coral's woes in this particular case.

matt the fiddler

i like the DIY air powered brand ;-) dont' know anyone who did it corectly, that has had problems... note the do it corectly... very important

check out some of the many diy threads on topoffs;)

Hehehe its the DIY part that scares me ;). As I'm doing more research though, that seems to be where its at.

I guess that's for the best, this way I can make one that suits my needs and maintains the look of the tank.

Originally posted by matt the fiddler

i like the DIY air powered brand   ;-)  dont' know anyone who did it corectly, that has had problems...   note the do it corectly... very important

check out some of the many diy threads on topoffs;)

Last Update and then I will let this thread die.

This morning the devil's hand made an incredible comeback. Its not back to 100% but it is looking soooo much better. Where before it had fallen over and was bleaching, today it was standing upright and looking like it wanted to pull through, I guess some stories do have happy endings :)

Archived