Cultivated Reef

More questions about starting 10g

new2reefs

i just got back from the lfs and actually got some helpfull (its a first for that store). well i talked to him for a while and said to buy mostly fake sand and add like 3 pounds of live sand to kind of activate it. they said my set up was fine but instead of buying the rock to cycle i was told the best way to do it was to fish cycle. I here different from everyone here but im not sure which advice to take

they're telling you it's better to do a fish cycle so they can sell fish.

rock is just as good, or better, and you don't run the risk of killing fish.

I agree with the sand thing, although I'd go almost all dead sand and just a cup or two of live sand from a local reefer's tank if you can get it.

matt the fiddler

if the rock is cured. get some hermits or cheap snails to throw in- 1 per 2 gallons should do... $2 carb or snail for the cheapies. [mexican turbo, blue legged hermit, etc. and you have a druable cleaning crew to cycle your tank...

how much live rock do you have, and what is your final goal on the tank? fish only- or coral, or what

matt

matt the fiddler

live rock pretty much is the standard- is your filter if it is good porus LR a pound or so per gallon- and your nano will be jumping in a month. i would not want to risk a salt water tank as small as a 10 nano without LR. none of the other filters work well. read any of the members tanks.. the order is usually..

wait

tank

salt

water

lr/ ls

wait a bit

inverts/ cleaning crew

wait some more..

wait even more..

then a fish

wait.

then coral.

then wait.

another coral..

wait some more, etc.

make sure your tank is fully balanced. and you know where the levels are. and where they have teh tendancy to swing before oyu put coral in.. one unexpected chilling from a bad heater. will kill the coral....

Archived