Pod Your Reef

Filter media, with or with out?

CU_Reefer

Should filters be run with or with out filter medium. I've been looking over the message board and I've noticed that some people use their filters just for water circulation without any filter medium at all. I understand that live rock and sand will take care of biological filtration but wouldn't you still need a form of mechanical filtration. Or are the weekly water changes enough to take care of this. I'm looking into setting up a 2.5 gal reef any advice would be great.

I'm new to the group so you can tell me if this is a stupid question. You won't hurt my feelings too much.

CU_Reefer

This is not a stupid question. There are some who use media, and there are some that don't. All most everyone here uses some carbon and/or polyfilters. I personally don't use any in my reef, except for carbon, and I only run it for one week a month. It is easier to run any reef tank with out biomedia; it makes nitrate removal and control much easier. HTH

I have a system12 that I have taken the filter out of totally. I am using my live rock, 23lb. and my live sand, 20lb. as bio-filtration and runnning a small skimmer and two mini power heads. I seems to be doing BETTER now without the filter system on it.

we are currently in the process of setting up a 10 gal tank. the filter medium being used at the moment is the ceramic tubes and two layers of the white foam underneath. after filling the tank and turning the filter on for the first time we found that the circulation was two slow and have now taken out one of the layers of foam, this has allowed the water to be circulated much faster, making the tank look a lot cleaner. i understand that this means that the water wont be being cleaned as well now, but at least there is a chance that the water can be circulated more times a day.

due to this change the tank is looking much better. this might be an idea for anyone who notices their filtration being a little slow.

tashana

I only use filter media when I think the water needs it.

When the water starts looking bad or there is too much debris in the tank, I put in some filter media such as a micron pad and carbon.

After the water starts looking better, I take the media out.

Archived