Coral Vue Hydros

My DIY hang over back fuge

Stephensx04

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

verry amazing skills with acrylic, you make me want to cry after seeing that and then looking at the pos sump i built. Tank looks pretty good as well, overall verry impressed, and will def subscribe to see what other creations you come up with.

Thanks It took alot of thinking and planning to make it work out the way I wanted. Im sure your sump looks fine. If your not happy with it design and build a new one. Each time I work with it I get better and the results show. Just give it a try.

I am another fan of your acrylic skill. My thought is...why don't you just build an aio? I know you're adding onto a picotope but I can definitely see a potentially awesome aio pico

I have though about it. But I'm not a fan or acrylic tanks. Scratch too easy. Also my acrylic skills are not perfect enough for me to make a tank. My seams are not perfect and it would bother me as a display tank. Mostly this has to do with the tools I'm using. A router would yield much better results but cant justify buying one as I wouldn't use it for anything other than messing with this stuff. Now if someone came to me to build a AIO I might give it a try. I think my HOB design built into a AIO would be a rocking design. If someone does it I might regret making it public like this for someone to steal and make money on it. But if someone does it for themselves with no intention of making money I would be flattered.

This is wonderful! I love seeing people take on DIY projects to solve specific needs.

Also, I have multiple tabs up in Firefox, but this one reads "My DIY hang over ... " :D

This is wonderful! I love seeing people take on DIY projects to solve specific needs.

Also, I have multiple tabs up in Firefox, but this one reads "My DIY hang over ... " :D

LMAO after building it the next thread should be that.

Still really impressed with what you did. I have spring break next week and I think Im going to try to tackle making one for my Edge based on your design and technique. If I do go through it Ill be sure to send you some photos!

Stephen, are you selling those things? I would be interested in one for my BC29.

PM me if really interested. maybe we can work something out.

Still really impressed with what you did. I have spring break next week and I think Im going to try to tackle making one for my Edge based on your design and technique. If I do go through it Ill be sure to send you some photos!

Absolutely in fact make a build thread. Its great for ideas if your stuck on your design. Sometimes it helps to have an outside opinion on what your trying to accomplish. The edge will be a challenge with the small opening and how much has to happen in that little area. But defiantly can be done.

wow that is amazing work man. very impressed

Thank you. Its always nice to hear that someone likes what you did. I post this to inspire others to try stuff.

Hey, im thinking of making an acrylic lid for my tank and i think i want to try this "weld on" stuff. Ive never used it or even heard of it untill this thread, any adivce you can give me on the stuff? What kind should i buy, where should i get it (live near McMaster)? how do i use it? anything i should know before i start? Sorry if thats alot of questions but i want this to look nice, and as its my first attempt i doubt it will :D.

Mcmaster sells it. Thats where I got mine from. I got Weld-on #3 and #16 for gaps. You will also need to buy an applicator for the #3. You just need to make sure your cuts are smooth and straight. For a lid though you wont need to have it perfect because it wont need to be water tight.

Very nice diy. I was thinking of doing one similar for my 20L. Do you use pins or wire when gluing or welding the seams together so the glue wicks in easier? When gluing in the baffles are they cut so that they are already snug in the box or is there small gaps so the glue wicks in? 3 or 16 on the inside?

Everything was done with #3 except where the old HOB filter needed to be attached. There were some gaps that needed to be filled. I did not use the pin meathod. I just butted them together and wicked in the #3. Then clamped down after a few seconds. Pin method would probably be better but im a little impaitiant to do that. The baffles were cut to fit snug then the #3 was wicked in and then clamped in place.

Absolutely in fact make a build thread. Its great for ideas if your stuck on your design. Sometimes it helps to have an outside opinion on what your trying to accomplish. The edge will be a challenge with the small opening and how much has to happen in that little area. But defiantly can be done.

Yea while it has a small area, the depth is the entire length of the tank. So I think an effective fuge can be constructed for it albeit a slightly modified layout from your construction.

Yea while it has a small area, the depth is the entire length of the tank. So I think an effective fuge can be constructed for it albeit a slightly modified layout from your construction.

Yea you could even incorperate a deep sand bed area with mangroves growing out of it.

Wow very impressive. I was wondering if this setup would be strong enough

To hang off the back and not be supported on the bottom.

I have a nano cube 28 and need some more room for a skimmer

And I would like to have a fuge that I can actually get my hands in lol.

Wow very impressive. I was wondering if this setup would be strong enough

To hang off the back and not be supported on the bottom.

I have a nano cube 28 and need some more room for a skimmer

And I would like to have a fuge that I can actually get my hands in lol.

The way I have it set up I dont think it would be strong enough to hang on its own. However all that would need to be done is in between the input and out put area to make an acrylic hook so to speak to take the weight off the input and out put area.

Yea you could even incorperate a deep sand bed area with mangroves growing out of it.

Thats a great idea! It was one of initial ideas for a fuge but it got shoved to the side when I started thinking about other options

Did a water change last night for the first time since installing new fuge. I can do a full 2 gallon water change and not disturb the display tank at all. I even pulled up the chaeto with the basket I made and sucked up the debri that rests on the bottom.

• 2 weeks later...
Stephensx04

Its 1/4 inch. With all the baffles it doesnt flex at all. Plus it sits on the desk top so theres no stress on the tank.

Archived