Cultivated Reef

Whats wrong with buying SW fish from PETCO?

Djm9288

I mean whats wrong with there fish that no one likes them. If they appear healthy is it safe to buy them. The lady at our petco owns several reef tanks. So she knows how to treat them. I was wondering if it would be safe to buy from them, the have some pretty good deals.

Daniel

You might look at the fact that Petco is a big chain store. Buying from them takes business away from the small fish stores. Which means less SW specific stores. Which is no fun.:(

I got my damsel there, and he's doing fine. Some people feel that since not all Petcos are good you shouldn't shop at any. Heck we have some LFSs around here that are much worse that the local Petcos.

My neon dottyback and my bar goby both came from petco and they are doing fine. The petco near me is actually not that bad. The petlands around me are a nightmare. I have a relative who is always giving me gift certificates to petland and I can't find ways to spend the money. Even the live brine sucks. With the nano, I don't go thru salt fast enough so I am sitting on a big credit that I cannot use.

If the fish looks healthy, the inhabitants in that tank look healthy, if they all eat well and the tanks in general all look healthy, then it isn't so bad. Remember, most of these stores have one system for all the saltwater tanks. If one fish looks bad, they all might be at risk.

Ask the help some questions that you know the answer to. If you get wrong answers or bad advice, do not pass go, do not collect $200, just leave the damned store.

Yeah well the people at my PETCO are very knowledgable, heck they even own reefs. They helped me with my setup thus far, and its doing great!

Daniel

Guest LudavicoTechnique

Talk with the specific employee who is handling you, ask questions. Dont even make them think you are to buy. Your dealer should have interest in Marine Aquaria. If they are specific, they are probably knowledgeable. To test them, ask then a completley obvious answer about compatibility. If they say you can put a lionfish with a clown, dont buy anything.

second2n0ne

Hello, I in fact work in the corporate offices of PETCO here in San Diego. I am not directly involved in the purchasing of livestock but do work very closely with the buyers. I can assure you that the buyers of SW livestock and hard goods are enthusiasts like ourselves. Every attempt is made to ensure healthy livestock by educating and training associates. If the SW dept is not up to par, it is due to lack of management and should be brought to the District Managers attention.

One advantage of working corporate is the freebies! I get frags, corals, lighting, controllers and other schwagg for WELL below cost, sometimes free! This is obviously not everyday but we hold auctions on the eval stuff vendors send us. Since we are not a specialty store, I come across reef stuff a lot.

NaNO ReeFiN

Petco sells corals..? :confused: I've never seen corals there, or lights... I remember asking a gentlemen about lighting equipment and he pulled out his wallet and gave me a business card to Aquatic Warehouse... :D This was the Petco on Morena..

The last time I was in Petco, they had a whole tank of Maroon Clowns, 7 or 8 of them, all dead. None of the employees seemed to care at all either. That's the last time I look at the SW tanks at Petco.

Guest LudavicoTechnique

There isn't a chance in holy hell on christmas that you work at a corporate office for Petco... lol. We dont even have Petco in Canada. We have Petsmart and Petcetera and Petland... and of course big als.

Christopher Marks

I'm sure there are plenty of decent PetCo's out there with employees that care, but the general concensis seems to show that there are a whole lot of horrible ones too.

Second2nOne, when you say, "If the SW dept is not up to par, it is due to lack of management and should be brought to the District Managers attention." it's kind of odd. The customer shouldn't have to report that their local store has problems. I'm not trying to attack you or anything, since you have little to do with that division I'm sure, but shouldn't district managers have unannounced inspections? Maybe you could propose this to someone in the company?

i understand that some petco stores are not responsible in keeping aquarium fishes, but the issue about not buying from them so they can close down is what i dont understand

so for people like me who have other pets like dogs, rabbits, etc...we love petco :) .

some petco stores are not bad at all, it always depends on the franchise owner, who hire's unexperience people that are willing to do anything.

besides a smart aquarist knows better not to apply at petco.

thats why we can say that most petco employees dont know anything..and that's the main cause of parasite infested tanks that they got :(

so dont worry, nobody buys fishes from petco.. besides people that are about to start the hobby, but they will learn... SOON...

hey petcos not bad at all the one by my house has a nice black guy that works there hes a maneger he helped me get all my stuff for my 28 im gonna setup and he even gave me his manegers discount when i bought everything i think it depends if there are good employees actually i talked to the guy i know the other day and they just installed new lights in the saltwater section and are selling corals i saw a nice about 4 1/2 inches to 5 inch in diameter brown mushroom and some nice buble tip anemones but if i ever need anything the guy i know there will special order me any fish corals or inverts and personally call me when they are in and he has a 55 gal with separaters like 3 in the back where he quarentines your fish for you afrter they come in so he calls when they are in and when they are done quarentining and theres a no salt gaurentee but if your a normal salt customer and he knows you hell give you a 1 and a half week gaurentee but i think it all depends on who you are dealing with employee wise,Chris:D

wow all that and a nice black guy to . your so lucky but the general experience with petco is bad.i went in one the other day thaey had a rotting star fish, a cleaner shrimp that must have been dead for at least 3 days,a tank full of tank raised clowns with four in the corner 3 rotting and one flaring gills on its way,a lion fish laying in the corner on its death bed,all fish were bleached out bad and ,all tanks full of hair algae it was the saddest sight i have ever seen at a lfs. one tank had like eight or nine full sized krill on the bottom of the tank with a small clown in it?...........petco should not sell salt water fish end of story.and as far as corals i saw a tank with 3 gonipora's in them......get a clue

I have had bad luck with Petco personally. In my 3 years of reef keeping, I've bought 3 fish from them. 2 of them died without any apparent problems. No ich or any other visible signs of parasites or disease. I can only assume it had something to do with how they were caught or handled since my water parameters were all fine and none of my other fish had problems... I won't make any accusations but if I had to venture a guess, I'd say maybe blast fishing or cyanide fishing may have been the cause. The third fish was a percula clown and 3 years later is still alive and well...but it was captive bred... I have also noticed that every time I go in their store here, they have bright green algae all over the sw tanks...fish are not looking very good and the employees don't seem to know anything about them. I will never buy another fish from them. I buy fish food from them and salt and that's about it.

Nishant3789

i agree it really depends on the actualy petco u go to.... heres a trick.... if the petco is bad, ask them when their next shipment is coming in, then get the fish the same day and they should be fine since they havent been in their tanks for very long.

nishant

NaNO ReeFiN

To be a little nice to Petco, mine does have a very nice reptile and small critters section (hamster, mice, rats...) Everything looks well maintained and cared for. :D

APARENTLY MY REEF CENTRAL RANT WASNT ENOUGH/////////.....

You cant go to a chain store for good fish ! or corals... or inverts.. or sssssshall I continue? damn.. I hate cheep MO FOS who look at me like Im silly fer paying 5.00 wholesale for Blue damzels.

My supplyers have quality fish. they are healthy, they are eating, Used to captive life, somewhat tollerant of nitrates and light changes, prepared foods, AND they recognise US as caregivers.

Its the GHETTO morons who buy fish FOR and At PET NO, who support the assinine habits of not doing waterchanges, or thinking all salt fish need is flake food and frozen Brine.....

FOR HEAVENS SAKE RUN A ****IING PROTIEN SKIMMER ON THE MARINELAND TANKS SYSTEMS ! AND SOME GOD DAMN U/V ! sheesh Corprate America has its ass so far up in the High Rise Offices, that they have lost touch with retail reality! as far as the "PET NO exec"

Second to ALL......

who popped in here in this "Blue Moon rare" apearance... why dont you go to the FU &DIE thread zone on Something Aweful.com..... you loozer... ACTUALY IM FLAMING U ON ABSOLUTC.COM soon..... How dare you request that the retail public report YOUR companies stores to a DA... the DA should be aware of the companies policy of cutting down on cost by......

1) NOT DOING WATERCHANGES

2) NOT using proper reef salinity

3) NOT properly acclimating specimins

4) NOT having a quarintine system

5) NOT Feeding proper diets

6) NOT having reef filtration (your salt tanks are set up as FW marineland rack systems in a majority of stores

7) IMPROPPER dossing of Copper.. It was 2 X the lethal limit in 3 stores I tested.

8) AAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH !

9) Ut oh... Espi Is on a RANT.....

10) NOT having SW training.. where I HAVE HAD TO TELL EMPLOYEES WHO THOUGHT THEY KNEW WTF THEY WERE ALL ABOUT ( that their ###### didnt stink) A THING OR 2.......

but then perhaps thats what you get for paying $ 6.00 an hour....

I was asked to work for the Company 3 times... I refused on the shear principle I couldnt do JackShieat to make a differance in Co. policy or where they get the fish from, how they are handled, NOR how they were maintained.

11) I could school on this for hours , but Im allready ####ed enough...... Just say NO TO PET CO.... the destroyers of LFS and hard working Peeps who DO GIVE A DAMn about the SINGLE MOST ABUSED ANIMALS IN THE WORLD...

WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME THE ASPCA MADE AN ARREST FOR ANIMAL ABUSE FOR FISH ? HUH HUH HUH ! ???? WAHT WAHT BIATCH ! damn......

AND FUKEN FINALY 12) come to my Place......... Ill show U a REAL LFS.... ###### Ill even take U to my shippers..... they have 100 times the livestock of TWENTY of your stores, and 1 % of the losses.......

Of course that is my Opinion, Of course I could be RIGHT !

,......:mad:

Archived